Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Which web tool to choose?

My brother has been playing with .Net for a few months. Personnaly, I've only scanned through a book, but I'm a bit more familiar with open-source tools like Zope or OpenCMS.

Are there people here experienced with those and also J2EE that could summarize the pros & cons of using one tool over others? I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time before diving in.

Thx
Fred.

Frederic Faure
Wednesday, November 27, 2002

When I went to school the first semester work was in Fortran as they wanted to give the students a good grounding in a "useful" language.

Resign yourself to the fact that you ultimately will most likely be wasting your time no matter which you chose.

Bruce Rennie
Wednesday, November 27, 2002

On the Java front, there are many options... JSP, servlets, Struts, etc.

I have found one that stands out... tapestry.sf.net.

The reason I like it is that there is no dealing with web constructs explicitely (URLs, sessions, etc.)  Everything is nicely hidden behind objects.

From what I have read, Tapestry is very similar to Apple's WebObjects, only it is open source!

Scot
Thursday, November 28, 2002

What is your objective?
For small to mid sized projects I suggest php. It's easy, free, and fast to develop in.

For larger projects maintainability is key. Java and python both allow for maintainable code even if the programmer is subpar.

For the money. In this economy its all bad. Maybe, cell phones or voip...throw in some XML parsing too. Oh yeah make it enterprise.

It really depends on your objective.

Opportunist
Friday, November 29, 2002

Thx everyone for the tips. I need to rewrite accounting and payroll applications that my dad wrote in VB years ago. Since the code is a mess (euphemism) and those applications need to be updated fairly often, I was thinking of rewriting them as web apps instead of dedicated apps. But I'm worried about the limitations of the web browser (spread sheet/grid object, menus, etc.)

My brother is building a prototype for another app in VB.Net, but I'd much rather use open-source tools that can run on other platforms and non-IIS web servers.

Thx

Frederic Faure
Saturday, November 30, 2002

Well, it is easy to get around running it on IIS.  Check out GLUE from www.themindelectric.com.  It allows you to expose Java classes as web services with a few lines of code, and it is free.  Apache Axis does the same thing, as do some PEAR libraries for PHP.

Using web services on the server side is a win. Then the question becomes what to use on the client side.  If you control which computers it is deployed to, then MS.NET is a good choice because it is easy to use and their are no royalties for the client-tier developed in C# or VB.NET.  You can also develop the client in Flash or something like Tapestry (using the Java client stubs generated by GLUE or Axis).

Scot
Saturday, November 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home