Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Follow up procedures

Just looking for some advice,I called up the Director of a small software company, regarding job opportunities,after ringing him a few times,I got a call back from him.He asked me for my references from the school I graduated and from work,so I provided him with my references, through e-mail and also sent him a copy of a written reference from my former employer.This was around 10-15 days back.Should I wait some more time for him to reply,or should I contact him again?

sroy
Monday, November 25, 2002

Everyone will have a different opinion here, but I would wait until the Wednesday after the Thanksgiving holiday (assuming you are from the states) and follow up then.  That would be a three-week interval, he could hardly accuse you of being over-persistent.

I wouldn't call immediately after a four-day weekend, and I wouldn't wait until the mid-December craziness is upon him either. 

He asked you for your info, so it is perfectly acceptable to follow up and see if there is anything else you can provide for him.

Good luck.

Ran

Give him a call NOW. Make him know you want to work for him. If you wait three weeks he will have forgotten you.

Tony E

Would a note or an email, something thats not so in your face as a phone call, and therefore less likely to get a "knee jerk" reaction just to get you off the phone so they can go to that urgent meeting, be appropriate?

I think its fair to show that you are interested. You should also show that you respect their time, by not pushing too hard, and that you respect your own time, by doing enough pushing to let them know you would like an answer.

Robert Moir

Robert's riight.  E-mail, don't phone. We had a guy applying to my college who was almost certain for a job, but he kept on ringing the Department Chairman on his mobile phone at the wrong times, and now he just can't get through.

Stephen Jones

problem is,with an e-mail, I won't be sure if he will respond.It's kind of strange as I did not have an interview with him, but he asked for my references.

sroy

I work at least 7 hours out of an 8 hour work day.  Not always coding - much of the time its reading other peoples' code (3rd party drivers), understanding it, reading standards or debugging/testing hardware.  When stuck on a problem, I'll print the docs & code and find a quiet conference room to spread out in with a white board.  It takes away distractions like JoS and the urge to code.

On most days I leave promptly at 5.  If I work extra hours its in the morning.

To those who think its impossible to be productive 80-90% of the day, all I can say is "bah".  When I spent time at the minimum security facility i Redmond, we had a guy who coded no fewer than 10 hours per day.  He was an animal, and by far the most productive member of the team.  From what I understand, he still works like that.

4 hours of productive work/day?  Sounds lame to me.

Nat Ersoz

Nat - wrong thread ;-)

Hmm.

speaking of lame: wrong topic...

Nat Ersoz

Send him an email this week, and call him up 7-10 days after that, IF he has not replied to your email.

All the best.

Prakash S

In my opinion, the Director probably just asked for your references to be polite since you've called him about looking for a job several times.  If he didn't mention anything specific about a certain job position when and/or before asking for your references, then my guess is he's most likely just trying to be cordial to your persistence in calling him up several times before.

HeyMacarana
Tuesday, November 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home