Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

So - any idea of prices?

How much is that doggy on the window? I just want to take it home and play.

It looks appealing - but check the budget first!

Jeff Church
Monday, October 15, 2001

See http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=128&ixReplies=9

<QUOTE>
We haven't set an exact price point, but will be in line with shrinkwrapped desktop software like desktop publishing packages. (It's targetted at a very similar market as, say, InDesign or Quark Xpress).

Joel Spolsky
Monday, October 15, 2001
</QUOTE>

Anon Lover
Monday, October 15, 2001

I think that what he is saying is that it is going to be expensive or something.

Anon Lover
Monday, October 15, 2001

...I don't think he's saying that's it's going to be expensive...

Babak
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

Depends on your definition of "expensive". Nope, it's not gonna be free, but from what Joel's said, it's not gonna be in the five-to-seven-figure price range of high-end content management systems, either.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

Quark Express is kind of expensive.

Anon Lover
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

Quarkexpress is about $500 per user. So if Citydesk is around the same, then it is not expensive. Citydesk's target market seems to be for business use and for easy collabaration for web publishing and sharing knowledge. If a business wants to spend money teaching users how to code HTML, stick to site standards, etc, then I believe they are wasting their time. If a persons background is in one field (e.g. physics, reporting, etc.) and they want to share that knowledge, then they should not be forced to learn html (not everyone on the internet is a computer savvy person) if all they want to share is their knowledge. For businesses, $500 per seat is not a big ask if it improves productivity and allows higher collaboration and knowledge sharing. (Just ask businesses what they think a per seat license for Office is worth?)

San Leung
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home