Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MIX Files

I have some image files in .MIX format, which I understand is the native file format for MS Photo Draw, a program which I do not have.  Does anyone know of a free program that will allow me to open these files?  I tried tucows but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks

Tom Barr

tb1@hamptons.com

Tom Barr
Saturday, November 23, 2002

Doing a Google Search on Photodraw + file viewer got me to this page

http://supportnet.merit.edu/webclubs/imageedit.html

This gives links to some free viewers.

This one appears quite useful

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/html/xnviewgb.html

If you have MS Word installed on your machine then the advice given in the forum posting below seems good. I give the URL of the thread as there are other postings of interest there.

http://photographytips.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=229

"Need to convert .mix files to .jpg quickly and without needing PictureIt? I figured out the easiest way to do it:

1. Have the said .mix file saved on your computer somewhere. "My Documents" is easy enough since it'll only be temporary.

2. Open up Microsoft Word and click on the "Insert" menu.

3. Click on "Picture" and then "From File..."

4. Find the .mix file that you have saved on your computer and insert it into the document. Now you should be able to view the image as a part of your Word document.

5. Now, in order to save it as a jpeg, just go to the "File" menu and click on "Save As."

6. Save the document as a "Web Page" (again, let's say in "My Documents")

7. You won't notice anything different, but then go to where you saved the web page document (in this case, your "My Documents" folder) and you'll see that there's the web page file along with a folder titled "filename_files." Open this folder and inside you'll find the .mix image saved as a jpeg. Then feel free to rename the image and place it wherever you'd like.

Please note that this has only been tested on Windows XP Professional. If anyone can try this on other Windows formats and see if it works in more or less the same way, then please post your findings here.

Hope this helps."

If you check out other ideas at the page given on the top, and if that doesn't work just look at some more of the links Google returns.

Post back to tell us what your final solution was

Stephen Jones

Steve:

Your instructions worked like a charm with Windows 98 second, although I was prompted to download something, I am not sure exactly what, from my MS Office Small Business CD, but the download was done automatically once I had put the Office disk in the CD drive.  Anyway, you saved the day!  Thank You!!

The  viewer that you gave the url to at wanadoo is by a frenchman and while it reconizes some 300 file types, it does not read .MIX

Tom barr

Tom Barr

What if you have windows 2000.  I tried below instructions and they did not work.

Helen Shwery
Monday, June 16, 2003

I also have MSOffice 2000 and the instructions did not work.  When you try to insert into word, it say it will not convert and none of the choices they give you of the different formats works, even though one of them is pictureit!  Any help out there, please emails me stormerage@aol.com with .MIX FILES in the subject.  Thanks!

Tanya
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

I had over 40 pictures of my son when he was first born.  When I had some repairs done to my computer I lost my Picture IT program.  I could not pull up any of my son's pictures because they were saved as mix files.  I tried what you said and it worked.  Thank You Very Much!

Joy Freeman
Monday, March 22, 2004

I have windows xp and it worked for me like said. What a pain in the butt to do though. Good old Microsoft software.

Mel
Monday, March 29, 2004

When I tried your technique to insert a .mix file in word...it prompts me to convert, then I get an error msg....error importing picture. What's up?

Jim Lessley
Sunday, May 09, 2004

Same problem as Jim Lessley. When I tried your technique to insert a .mix file in word...it prompts me to convert, then I get an error msg....error importing picture. I use XP. What do you suggest?

Randy Snow
Sunday, May 09, 2004

I had the same problem with Office 2003 on XP. Maybe only works with Office97 which was same generation as Photo Draw and the format was native to Word then?

What I really want is a replacement for Photo Draw so that I can re-use my MIX files created previously with Photo Draw, extracting all the components. Photo Draw and Office 2003 just do not go together!

I am trying REAL-Draw Pro out but it is very different. Any ideas?

Bruce Edwards
Sunday, May 16, 2004

Sorry - meant Office2000 not 97!

Bruce Edwards
Sunday, May 16, 2004

I have Windows 2000 and it worked for me just fine.

Galina
Friday, June 11, 2004

Thanks for the tip. I'm on xp v2002. Ignor the install prompt and it was ok. Now I need to try to work it in a poto editing program, one step at a time....

Mike Roberts
Monday, June 14, 2004

I have microsoft office XP 2002 professional and it worked like a harm for me.  I've been looking for a way to do this for about a month.  Thanks!
Jeremy
KS

Jeremy Glenn
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home