Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best software testing tools for Windows?

I'm looking for advice on which GUI testing tools to evaluate with a view to purchase.

We need something that can do all the usual stuff like capturing user actions, comparing screen images, and a script language, and that can then re-run the tests automated (regression testing).

So far I've looked at Rational Visual Test, which seems a little dated, and AQTest which looks good and has an extensible script language for white (and black) box testing.

What is everyone else using for testing? Any experience of the tools mentioned above? Our budget is quite tight (2 developers), so products under US$1,500 can only be considered.

John Millbrook
Wednesday, December 26, 2001

We had a bit of conversation about this:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=274&ixReplies=23

I thought AQ Test looked great but I simply could not get it to work with CityDesk. Every time I tried to run scripts against CityDesk it hung, so I gave up.

Rational Visual Test worked quite well.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, December 26, 2001

It's look like you work with HTML testing. AQtest v. 1.51 hangs up when working with HTML during navigation. In version 1.52 this issue is resolved. Note: AQtest version 1.xx is not intented to test HTML forms and applications.
Full support of WEB testing will be implemented in the new version 2.0. Anyway, if you have ANY problem with our product, please contact us at support@automatedqa.com

Bobby Edgar
Friday, December 28, 2001

If I remember correctly the issue with AQA was that I had several top level VB forms, and it was unhappy because they all have the same window class? Anyway what was happening was the script did something which opened a new window, and then everything hung.

I recently heard a rumour that Rational is dumping Visual Test. I guess they don't like the cheap product cutting into sales of their expensive product. I hope AQA can fill in the gap!

Joel Spolsky
Friday, December 28, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home