Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Color Capture Feature

I am trialling a content product that helps me contribute and I noticed a feature that I hadn't seen before.  When you select the color drop down, a color grid displays (but heres the cool part) the current color display is whatever the cursor is currently over.  So essentially, you can screen capture any color with one (well two <g>) clicks.

Anyone seen this before?  And for the Record...DAMN!

Brad Siemens
Thursday, November 21, 2002

neat idea Brad!

Prakash S

Isn't that what every contemporary graphics software has in the form of the "eyedropper"?

Erik

Yeah but this is without the two extra clicks and by default...  Again DAMN!

Brad Siemens

One of the value propositions for this would be:

If a user uses that particular feature 5 times every week, he/ she saves 10 mouse clicks, which translates to 52 * 10 = 520 mouse clicks for the year.

If this software has a large user base of let's assume 50000 users, then the resulting savings in mouse clicks for a year is 520 * 50000.

You can also take into consideration the time saved.

Prakash S

let me know *how bad*, my value proposition for this is!

Prakash S

That's a nice bit of calculus, but who does that huge total actually help the single entity :-)

Nevertheless, minor improvements like these are worthwhile anyway. I consider those like the grain of sand in you shoe. Leave it in and it will become a blister. Never mind how insignificant a single grain of salt is by itself.

Erik

Erik,

Insurance companies take a look at these discussion boards, and by knowing that a reduction by 2 mouse clicks helps in reducing by *that many*, they start charging lower premiums, so by the time I am 35 and suffering from CTS, my insurance kicks in ......... :-)

This is why I should not stay up all night d/l movies on Kazza, & hitting refresh to know the latest score of a cricket match, and chat with my buddies in a different time zone. That is the very tiring life of a graduate student :-)

Prakash S

I do a considerable amount of 'fiddling' with look and feel stuff and I would use this feature say 50 times a day when editing and I get an endorphine boost everytime... so far. 

I don't think it will ever wear off completely.  I will always, subconsciously at least, remember a time when it was thus and so.

'I remember a time when you had to click 16 times just to change a font color... and we LIKED it!'

Like you say, another small step.

Brad Siemens

Ok, you're editing and you want the background of a cell to be same colour as the title bar.  Focus the cell Ctrl+<available accelerator key> and click on desire screen component.

That's it, new feature time! <g>

Brad Siemens

"& hitting refresh to know the latest score of a cricket match"

Considering how India, Pakistan, England and Sri Lanka are doing at the moment, getting the latest cricket scores has an immediate and serious negative effect on one's health (and quite possibly the health of the equipment in the room as well),

Stephen Jones

Stephen:

The most immediate and profound effect is on how much money you make or lose, if one is into the betting thing!

Prakash S

Actually perhaps we could set up an internet betting shop for the cricket. Then you could retire after your sabbatical!

The headquarters are supposed to be in Dubai.

Now that Ladbroke's and William Hill's are working out of US jurisdiction, and thus betting tax, one could revert to the old trick of simply offering lower odds than them, and then giving them enough of the money placed with you to pay back your punters if their team wins.

Stephen Jones

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home