Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Has anyone read the book ``Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture''?

The description makes it look like it covers a problem domain of immediate interest to me, and I'm thinking about purchasing it, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

What about language? It's examples are in Java and C#, and nothing I'm looking at is in either of those. Are the patterns all applicable in other languages or do some of them depend on features like GC or other highly language-specific features?

Thoughts?

TIA!

Mike Swieton
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Hi Mike,

I haven´t read the book yet but I used to read the draft that Martin Fowler had on his website [ www.martinfowler.com ] - known as Information Systems Architecture - sadly is not available anymore.

I'd say is the most interesting read on patterns I've seen in years, definitely very useful and insightful if you're into enterprise aplications.

The patterns are not language specific, Fowler is a well known author in the patterns community and a very knowledgable engineer with vast experience in CORBA, DCE, and Smalltalk  but as Fowler himself acknowledges "...if you're an experienced designer of enterprise applications, you'll probably find most of these patterns are familiar to you...".

If I was to buy a book today I'd get this one.

Daniel Tio

I just ordered it after having much enjoyed another Fowler book, Refactorings. I primarily do PHP development and found the Refactorings book highly applicable even though all the examples were in Java. And this is fairly nuts and bolts stuff compared to most pattern teachings. I'm sure PoEAA won't disappoint.

David Heinemeier Hansson

You can always pick it up here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011020120429/martinfowler.com/isa/index.html

Nice site for getting back to disappeared ones... (e.g. unsupported or dead products you need to debug)

Philippe Back

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home