Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

REBOL

Anyone here using REBOL? Hands up people! :-)

(A hand goes into the air).

Lennart Fridén
Monday, November 18, 2002

I downloaded it, and tried the sample for sending an email. But I work behind a firewall with ftp and smtp closed so I don't know exactly what to do with this tool.

Daren Thomas

Well, since it is a multiplatform programming/scripting language with GUI capabilities I'd say apps. ;-)

Seriously, it's a shame you're behind a FW since you're missing out on the fun of using REBOL.

Lennart Fridén

Yes, REBOL is a brilliant little tool. It has become my main language for general-purpose scripting:

* Batch/offline processing
* Parsing structured & unstructured data, screen-scraping
* Quick GUI prototyping
* Network/web utilities

Looks like it can do CGI as well, but it begs the question of why one would use a general-purpose language for that when you can use a specialized one (e.g., PHP)?

Btw, doesn't everyone work behind firewalls? There hasn't been a company yet that I haven't been able to use it at.

Len Vindman

It would be more convenient if you provided a link....

Prakash B

Well I wondered if anyone was using it so if you did you'd know where to look for it. Anyway, www.rebol.com is it. :-)

Lennart Fridén
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Re: firewalls, there are proxies you know. :-)

Lennart Fridén
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Rebol has three problems:

1.  It is not a curly brace language.  This is enough to prevent mass adoption.

2.  It is not OO.  This is also enough to prevent mass adoption.

3.  It is not open source.  Carl Sassenrath is trying to make a living selling a programming language, something that is increasingly hard to do.  While he pursues schemes like IOS, the core language languishes.  And if you want to develop full-size applications, you need to buy the premium version.

D. Vader
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Personally I don't see the first two as problems - I'd rather call them features...;-)

The third however, I agree, is a probelm. Not in the sense that REBOL isn't Open Source (that too borders on being a feature as far as I'm concerned here), but it sure isn't moving ahead as fast as it could. Then again, advancements made in IOS are merged back into the "normal" products and vice versa.

It's good to see that they're getting a bit softer when it comes to the license.

Lennart Fridén

One more thing regarding having to buy the premium product (I take it you mean REBOL/Command) - since when was Visual Studio free?

Lennart Fridén

Vader--
Items 1 - 3 are mainly image problems. I use REBOL frequently, and I don't miss curly braces or deep OO features. For quick or medium size apps (or prototyping), those things are mainly unecessary baggage.

As to point 3, I believe Rebol Technologies is planning on opening up the language to a certain extent-- layers above the "kernel" will be available for modification via an SDK.  http://www.rebol.com/dnews2b01.html

Edoc

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home