Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

VB6 ListView Missing Values

Hi,

I have a list view in a form that contains missing values after it populates. After hours of agony and desperation, I finally realized that because I set the .sorted property to true (in runtime), that it was dropping values as it populated the list? I guess it attempts to enforce
the sorting rules as it populates?

So I moved the .sorted = true code to follow the population of the listview, and everything is cool now.

I'm not sure what my question is, but, like, how could I have not lost all those hours - searching and testing all kinds of other confusing crap that got me nowhere -
and just gotten it right the first time.

Translation: am I missing something? I.e., some broad, general understanding of how things work, and do I need to educate myself in some obvious way that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

ic

novice
Saturday, November 16, 2002

"Translation: am I missing something? I.e., some broad, general understanding of how things work, and do I need to educate myself in some obvious way that I'm not aware of?"

Probably.

Evan

But you don't know what that is, either?

novice

Novice - the answer is in your name. You need experience, that's what's missing. Keep trying, soon you will have solved that particular problem in about 30 seconds.

Alberto

"Soon", is of course, a relative term.

Alberto

Novice -- Alberto is right. At least you did manage to solve the problem, and now you know about that, at least. A lot would have quit right there, so that says that you've got the sticktuitiveness to make it. We've all been through stuff like that, and I think even the most seasoned of us still goes through it every time something behaves unexpectedly.

Now I'm not familiar with how that particular encapsulation of the list view works, so maybe the documentation told you that would happen, but assuming it didn't, this sounds like a normal live-and-learn situation that we all deal with.

Troy King
Sunday, November 17, 2002

Novice,

Maybe join a VB list (such as http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A0=visbas-beginners )?

Seeya

Matthew Wills
Sunday, November 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home