Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Career Disucussion Board?

This question is mainly for Joel. How about starting a career discussion board? We hear everybody talking about the bad economy and how hard is it to get a job. How about people here helping each other to get a job/project? Reading from the comments posted here, it looks like people here are normally above average programmers, project managers, software professionals etc. So if you advertise for a job/project you may get some good quality people.
What do you think about telling others here about the job opening (if any :) ) in your company?
Do you all think it's a good idea? Thanks in advance for your input.

Employed_but_looking_for_a_better_opportunity
Friday, November 15, 2002

Considering the number of  news groups, maillists and discussion boards on any topic you can imagine, I find it surprising that there seems to be little for exchanging information on job finding.  I am thinking of something developer oriented, not employer oriented.  We need a place to find out about good employers.

What is out there is not very useful: There is the us.issues.occupations.computer-programmers newsgroup which is mostly an ongoing H1B flame fest.  There are news groups that are just job listings and there are web sites with job listings.

We do have career related discussions on this board, but they aren't always as useful as I would like.

One related idea I have considered is to have a job posting board that is employee rather than employer oriented.  In order to post a job opening employers would have to provide information of interest to developers and might or might not be accepted.  Right now it is just an idea.

mackinac

http://pub102.ezboard.com/bcomputerconsultants

lil' arnie

Please keep in mind that internet is international (even if some abstraction makes us feel at home here).

That's why this kind of discussion board cannot work.

Ralph Chaléon

I would suggest Open IT Forum:
http://pub21.ezboard.com/bopenitforum

over the RealRates board (posted a few responses above).  I've frequented both and found the the Open IT Forum to be more freely spoken.  The RealRates board has unfortunately (IMHO) become moderated in a heavy-handed approach.

Just my opinion.

Marty Eichelman

The realrates bbs has become strict lately, but I think that's a good thing.  All the h1b threads were getting old.

lil' arnie

When I said "Career Discussion Board", I meant posting about openings in your companies, the ones which will not be posted on job sites or other forums. I was not talking about a general career discussion board. This is just for this forum people to help each other out. This will really help people here to get some leads who otherwise don't have any other means of networking (which is the main way to get jobs/projects in this economy). Remember, few months ago Joel posted about some job openings in his friend company on his web site. Something similar to that. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your inputs so far.

Employed_but_looking_for_a_better_opportunity

I like the idea, I even thought 'wordofmouth' a reasonable name, but that's taken.

'IJustHeard' hasn't been.  I guess I could set up a SquishDot site if there was some demand.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, November 16, 2002

And so I did.

I registered IJustHeard.com and IJustHeard.org until the DNS dust settles you can get to the site at http://www.objective2k.com/IJustHeard

Simon Lucy
Saturday, November 16, 2002

What I do:

Everytime my company has a tech job open up, I e-mail the details to my list of tech-oriented friends (about 10) and tell them to forward it as they see fit.

I also encourage them to do the same if they ever hear of an opening where they work.

Nothing has come of it yet (a few near-misses) but I'm hoping if I ever get myself in a fix, karma will help me out. :-)

Another idea: I'm the webmaster for a local non-profit (using CityDesk, of course).  I see all of the online volunteer apps that get submitted, many of them from unemployed techies.  This has alerted me to at least one guy who I was able to setup with an interview.  He got the job and I got the referral bonus! 

If you're out of work, try volunteering.  It'll be a good use of your time, and you never know what kind of contacts you may make

Jason
Sunday, November 17, 2002

http://www.ijustheard.com and http://www.ijustheard.org open for business

Simon Lucy
Monday, November 18, 2002

>> If you're out of work, try volunteering
Jason, that's some pretty good advice.

(Profile: Fresh MS graduate from top  10 university; jobless since 6 months.)

But where do I start looking for volunteer work? Thanks.

P. K.
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

I've gotten a few e-mails about my comments on volunteering, so I started a new thread.

P.K., please drop me a mail, I have a question for you

Jason
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

It's not fair when I got help of finding a job.
And those Samaritans got unexpected issue.
Ram Panda
===============================================
==================================================
From:  "accuracy_consultant <accuracy_consultant@y...>" <accuracy_consultant@y...>
Date:  Mon Feb 3, 2003  7:27 am
Subject:  Matrix and Vartec under Federal investigation in Dallas

ADVERTISEMENT

Finally, a board user at Open IT Forum got past the talk, talk, talk
stage and did something about H-1Bs being hired rather than
Americans. And it wasn't one of the long time regulars who abandoned
Real Rates either. This is a new guy with some guts for a change.
He filed a complaint with Senator Gramm. In his posting he says:

"I have since filed complaints against Matrix and Vartec with the
U.S. Department of Justice in Washington D.C.

My case ultimately was refered to the Senior Trial Attorney for the
Department of Justice, Mr. Byron Wong, who determined that my case
has merit. Both Matrix and Vartec are now under Federal investigation
for discrimination violations of 8 U.S.C. 1324b. Mr. Wong was in
Dallas the last week of January to meet with attorneys and
representatives of both of these companies as well as myself.

It was no surprise to discover that indeed, Vartec had hired an H1-B
for this position, which led additional credibility to my complaint.
During the investigation, I have seen the roster of new hires at
Vartec, and of the ten names on the roster, I feel confident to state
that at least five were H1-Bs, which is difficult for Vartec to
justify given the current substantial oversupply of highly
experienced technical professionals in the Dallas area that are
currently unemployed and are U.S. citizens."

http://www.alienjesus.com/war/archives/000346.html

ram panda
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home