Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CityDesk 'Edit with'

I installed CityDesk the other day and noticed that a shortcut was placed in Internet Explorer's 'Edit with' button adding to the drop down list of~

Edit with Microsoft Frontpage
Edit with CityDesk
Edit with Notepad

My question is: how can I delete (Microsoft Frontpage) and add other decent editors (such as HomeSite) to this list?  I've taken a look around and can't find any information on how to accomplish this.

Any ideas?

Craig J. Bedard
Friday, November 15, 2002

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q163606

John Topley

Thanks for the link but I am running IE6 on XP which isn't listed.  Also, I have looked at the folder options before and I am not sure if that method would 'add to the list' or 'overwrite the list'.  I was hoping there would be a folder somewhere like the 'send to' folder where I could just drop in a shortcut.

??

cheers.

Craig J. Bedard

A bit more digging has turned up this, which should answer your question: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/configuration/ClientReg/ClientRegistryLayout.asp

John Topley

On the subjiect of associated programs can anybody tell me how I can get mailto links in Netscape 7.0 to open my default mail editor, Outlook, instead of Netscape's own mail client.

And if anybody has found a way around the bug that means Outlook linls (in HTML formatted mail) to the web (in HTML formatted mail) open in IE 5.5 instead of the default web browser, could they let me know. The last info I had was to replace IE 5.5 with an earlier version.

Stephen Jones

Re: The "odd" behaviour of links in Outlook / IE....

I have Mozilla (1.2) as my default browser, and OExpress as my default mail client. When I had OE 5.5, all links would open on IE; I've upgraded to IE 6SP1 (I believe the upgrade is worthwile), and now the links in OE's Preview pane "do the right thing". The "only" problem is that whenever I click on a mailto: link, Mozilla Mail Client fires up, instead of the _default_ OExpress....

I'd say it's something on the link handling code on Mozilla / Netscape... but I'd love to be proven wrong!!

Javier Jarava

The problem with Outlook and IE 5.5 is well documented, and only applies to links in HTML messages -- those in plain text messages fire up the default brower. MS admitted the fault, but there workaround was to change browser version, which I don't really want to do.

With Netscape it appears to be a deliberate attempt at leverage (the kind of thing MS got busted for). Highly irritating and very stupid when Netscape needs to avoid antagonizing people to regain market share.

Stephen Jones

So when Microsoft does it it's a bug, but when Netscape does the same thing it must be intentionally obnoxious? Bah.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11459#c72

Daryl Oidy

I called it a bug in IE because it only happens in one version of IE and only with HTML fomatted mail, not with plain text mail, both of which suggest it was not planned.

I may have been too hasty to suspect AOL of foul play, though Netscape is as intrusive as intrusive as Microsoft in including all the AOL messenger services, and pestering one with pop-ups one doesn't want.

I've glanced at the buglink you gave. I'll try and follow it more closely later, though I am quite prepared to uninstall the whole of Netscape mail if necessary. I prefer using it as a browser firstly because of the ability to change the font size of pages with fixed fonts, and still let the web page preferences come through for sites such as this with reasonable layout, and secondly because of the great idea of tabbed browsing.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, November 16, 2002

OK Daryl,
              I looked a little more closely at the bug fix you pointed to, and by a little trial and error worked out that what you need to do with Netscape 7.0 in Windows is to go to the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\defaults\pref folder and edit the all.js file by adding this line

pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

The mailto links will then start up the default browser.

Unfortunately while doing this I managed to foul something up in the winpref.js file, so I had to completely reinsitall. This time I was a little more careful not to choose the normal or the complete install, and avoided downloading the mail and messgenger services among other things. Andi it does look like the things I complained about in the previous post have disappeared.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, November 16, 2002

-----------
and secondly because of the great idea of tabbed browsing.
-----------

If you like Tabbed browsing, try Multizilla :) (http://multizilla.mozdev.org/)  It's an add-on for Mozilla, including not only tabbed browsing, but also "google toolbar"-like functionality, and a few more bells & whistles

F. Javier Jarava
Monday, November 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home