Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

From developmentors .NET mailing list

This is a continuation of thin clients vs thick clients post.

The question posted on the mailing list was
how much .NET will effect desktop clients?

One answer posted was

There will be a mix of everything.
I see fatter clients because the browser is dead. .Net kills it for apps. We can go back to developing rich clients and still
maintain benefit of web apps.

I would like to hear more opinions about this.
thanks.

Mandar
Friday, December 21, 2001

I think the fat client as a consumer product will fade away.  Once broadband is common I think the majority of non technical users will prefer thin clients.  The rental model will be cheaper in the short term and with server centric application they can be easily spoon fed. 

It seems to me that this is the model that M$ are aiming for with .Net.

The enthusiats will never give up there beloved machines, so this market will remain.  Perhaps Hardware development will slow down and the market will resemble what it was a decade or so ago. 

Linux will probably dominate this market.

Ged Byrne

It would be a mistake to think that the majority of applications that a business requires have to be internet, or even intranet aware.  Collaborative applications might seem like a wonderful thing but organisations are still pretty much structured around heirarchical relationships where information distribution is seen as a bad thing.

.NET is really just more icing on a cake that's badly baked. 

Simon Lucy

Anyone who thinks .NET kills browser-based clients has never looked at ASP.NET. That alone is enough to make me distrust their conclusion.

.NET is a pretty general-purpose tool. You can build fat clients with .NET tools and underpinnings, you can build thin clients with the same tools and underpinnings. I don't think this alone will drive the client argument in one direction or the other.

Mike Gunderloy

My doctor doesn't recommend either.  He concludes that I should stick with a healthy diet and maintain a moderate workout schedule.

Guy Incognito

This is one of those classic ideology battles.

Sun, IBM like thin clients, because it's in their interest to move power from the client to the server. And they have a point. There are a lot of advantages to doing it this way - the reason the web is so successful is that anyone can deploy an application (albeit one with a sucky interface) without having the user download or install anything.

Microsoft like fat clients, because they want to put their emphasis on the desktop. And they have a point. Desktop apps are more useable than web-based applications, and if you're Microsoft, who cares about what the user chooses to install?

It's all spin. Sun want you to program for any OS, providing you're programming in Java. Microsoft want you to program in any language, providing you're going to run it on Windows.

And if you ask them, Sun might mention that you can program other languages to target the JVM, and Microsoft will tell you that the .NET framework is being ported to other Operating Systems, but you know that both sides are just producing more spin.

In the end, think of the people who are going to be using your product, and make your design decisions based on what they'd be most willing to do, and what they'll be most happy working with. If you guess wrong, you lose.

Charles Miller
Saturday, December 22, 2001

Some thoughts on how to decide whether to build a web app or a standard executable:

http://www.mindspring.com/~wmorein/webapp.html

Bill Morein
Wednesday, December 26, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home