Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Spam Proofing our discuss boards

Hi.  My name is Charles, and I am an intern here at Fogcreek.

I want to let all the contributors to our discussion groups know that we have changed the way private email is sent to someone who has made a posting.

Please feel free to include your email address in your postings.  If anyone makes a personal reply, they do it through our website without ever becoming aware of your email address.

We will keep the email address completely private and secure in our internal database.

Charles Reich
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Has this new feature been load tested?

Good work Charles!!

And I think they should get you working on a preview button next (even though Joel has said they don't want it, everyone else does!!).

Ben

Test!

Prakash S

Kindly ignore the previous post.

Prakash S

Looks good, as long as it works it gets my vote.

Alberto

So, clicking on the link gives you the same form (well, looks close) as that which you use to post to this board.  I just spammed Prakash.  :-)

Works pretty slick, I guess, assuming it works.

Paul Brinkley
Thursday, November 14, 2002

>I just spammed Prakash

Yes, but the beauty of this system is that he never got the message. The form isn't handled, making it spam proof :)

Damian

Actually, I did get the message!

Prakash S

I'm resisting the temptation to spam Prakash now... :)

Marc
Friday, November 15, 2002

So was the previous method of spam proofing (some kind of script to obfuscate the email address when doing a View->Source) not working very well?  Or, why the change?

Regarding the previous method of spam proofing not working well - see:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=17068

I think this is a very good feature, but I now miss one aspect of the previous style. Previously, if someone included a legitimate work email address and discussed some issues or talked about their current work that caused me to be interested in their company, I could hover over the mailto link, see the company name in the email address and then go to that company's web site. I can no longer do that.

Philip Dickerson

This is more than spam proofing though. You have just set up a very practical anonymous email gateway. Wonder if your ISP will like this.

Just me (Sir to you)

I suggest a separate field where you can post your URL, if you like.  Lots of boards have this feature.

J. D. Trollinger

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home