Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Ultimate IQ Test

http://www.emode.com/tests/uiq/

Check this out, and what it says.

"It's free, it's private and it's developed by PhDs. Don't miss out! Get your 15-page, scientifically valid report at the end of the test. Good luck!
"
PhD's .... hehehehehehehe

Prakash S
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Woo-hoo!

A 138-IQ Visionary Philosopher!

In your face! 

Booyah!

Who da man?! 

Hmmm...I gotta stop doing stuff like this at work.

Dunno Wair

137 - Word Warrior!

"The first thing we can tell you about that is you are equipped with a verbal arsenal that enables you to understand complex issues and communicate on a particularly high level. But that's just scratching the surface. "

In programmer speak... figure out just what the heck is client is trying to say.

Jonathan A.

Sorry, not as smart I thought I was.  It was actually 127. :) but still a word warrior.

Jonathan A.

Holy jumpin' crap... I'm a moron!

Brad Siemens

"You're able to understand patterns visually and in numbers. That means your mind can create a mental picture for any problem. In addition to that skill, you possess an intelligence that allows you to apply math to that picture, too. That helps you manipulate multiple parts of the picture (or problem) to come up with a solution."

Awww crap!!!  I’ve been wanting to get out of the software development biz, and now this test tells me that it’s what I was made to do?!?  I've never been so depressed! 

Nick B.

"Visual Mathmetician"

However, what these tests tend to show is how good you are at these sorts of tests rather than any "intelligence" - whatever that is.

We talk about intelligence but how do you measure it? What is the definition and how do we compare one person against another?

I don't think that what we commonly call, and test as, "IQ" is real intelligence

Gwyn Carwardine

144 - Visionary Philosopher

"you're equally good at mathematical and verbal tasks, and learn best through experience"
"Like Plato, your mind's strengths allow you to think ahead of the game — to imagine or anticipate what should come next in just about any situation. Because you're equally skilled in the numerical and verbal universes of the brain, you can draw from multiple sources of information to come up with great ideas. The timelessness of your vision and the balance between your various skills are what make you a..."

-

I wonder if they do 16 points per standard deviation like the Binet, or 15 points like other tests?

-

Any one else notice this question:

[WARNING: SPOILERS!]

Why of these is most unlike the others?
A Coconut
B Grape
C Banana
D Apple
E Pear

I'd answer:
A - coconut is the only nut
B - grape is the only vine (it's also the only one that has a native north american cultivar)
C - banana is the only word to use a single vowel
D - apple is the only word with a double-letter
E - pear is the only homonym

Having made this list, I felt A & B were the only credible possibilities and B was the MOST different one.

I always wonder if they take these sorts of things into account when scoring the tests. I'd say they do not -- the truely scientific ones like the stanford binet which have been meticulously designed are exceptionally clever in that you can not find these sorts of ambiguities.

X. J. Scott

Hm, just noticed that pear is the only one in which the vowels are strictly in reverse alphabetical order. Dang. That was probably it.

X. J. Scott

"Your'e just intelligent enough to know that this is a scam intended to part you from your money, and your score has more to do with our desire to flatter your vanity than any real intellectual ability on your behalf."

Actually what it said was "Visual Mathematician". Now if there is one area where I really am intellectually challenged it is plane geometry and topology.  And as for Mathematics in general I only just scraped through the O level. Go figure!

Stephen Jones

133.. Seems wonky that almost everyone here has posted scores in the 130's....

Matt Sponer

Yeah it looks like every one is in the 130+ range.

I got a 135.

I thought I had answered every single question right except #40 (the last one).  I didn't put too much thought into it...I was tired by then! :)

But now I'm not so sure about the coconut question.

[WARNING: SPOILERS!]

Why of these is most unlike the others?
A Coconut
B Grape
C Banana
D Apple
E Pear

I went  with Coconut.
Why?

You can peel a grape, banana, apple, and pear.  But you can't peel a coconut!!!

But who knows if I'm right?  I wish I had the answers.  There's a line of reasoning to my answer.  But, they might have been looking for some of the reasons you gave.

William C

That was the worst "IQ test" I've ever taken.  There wasn't a challenging question on the entire thing.  Challenging is not the same as ambiguous.  There were several of those.

This was an attempt at flattery, I agree with a previous poster.

Bob

Robert Anderson

This whole thing is kind of funny; it reminds me of an episode of “King of the Hill” (shocking that an individual with such high intelligence as myself would go for that sort of uncultured mass media!) where “Peggy” falls for a scam that gets people into thinking that they are geniuses so that they will buy all sorts of ridiculous “educational” materials. 

I can’t believe I just paid a few bucks for some self-congratulatory explanation as to what the number 135 was supposed to have meant (I probably should be docked about 45 points for that alone).  And for what I paid, they could have at least told me I’m a really nice guy or I look sexy in my Subaru or something!  Oh well, I guess it was cheaper and less time-consuming than a Master’s degree :)

Nick B.

I'm a Precision Processor (130).

"This means that among other things, you have superior skill in mathematics. "

See, I've been telling everybody this for years, now finally they will listen!

Alberto

Anybody get a perfect score?

Are you a Visual Precision God?

Alberto

"I can’t believe I just paid a few bucks for some self-congratulatory explanation"-- Nick B.

"Anybody get a perfect score?" -- Alberto

Nick, when you pay and they send you the report with the correct answers, does it say what the highest score is?

(All IQ tests have ceilings - most can't distinguish betweent various levels of higher IQs. The obsolete Stanford-Binet Rev. 3/Form L-M is said to be the only reliable one that is even capable of measuring higher values and then I think only if you test someone when they are fairly young. OK, so I like these sorts of tests that's just because INTPs are fascinated by these sorts of things, sorry I can't help it...)

X. J. Scott

Their claimed distribution curve is between 40 and 160 (presumably 160 is the highest score) with 68% of test takers being in between 80 and 120 and 95% of test takers in between 60 and 145.  They also give the answers but offer no explanations. 

They don’t get into specifics about the scoring system.  They only say they use scores calculated by the established Shipley test in calibrating their IQ test.

I missed 5 (!) and received a 135.  But like many people here, I fail to see how a grape is less like a coconut, banana, apple, or pear than a coconut is like a grape, banana, apple, or pear.

A coconut is covered with a hard husk while grapes, bananas, and pears are covered with a pliable skin that can be peeled.  A coconut is a nut while grapes, bananas, or pears are fruits.  Actually, I’m not whether a coconut is properly categorized as a fruit or nut.  Ok, grapes grow from vines while the others grow from trees, but it seems to me that coconut and grape are equally valid answers (assuming that a coconut is actually a kind of nut).

I supposed the lessons to be learned here are:
1) A coconut may be categorized as a fruit, and
2) Vanity and gullibility are characteristics of the intelligent man :) 

Anybody else want a few bucks to tell me I’m smart? (Please don’t answer that)

Nick B.
Thursday, November 14, 2002

I chose banana.  Because all the other fruits are mostly circular, while the banana is mostly a line.  I didn't feel like putting too much thought into it.  I didn't pay for the results though, I just took the number they gave me (135), so I don't know if I got it right or not.

Though from some of the answers, I think some of you overthought the question ;-)

Andrew Hurst

Just a couple notes/questions...I tried it again, answering randomly, and received a 105. Huh?

Another question; what effect does speed have on the test? I didn't see any mention of this on the site. In this I'm referring to properly administered tests; this is obviously a dancing-hamster wannabe.

Nigel C

Hey Nick,

Thanks for looking that stuff up, I appreciate it.
So I guess since you paid for the answer key, that you are implying that the supposedly correct answer is grape... (I understand & am fine with that it probably comes with a license requiring you to not reveal too much of the secrets you have learned.)

So it would be the case that the test designers line of reasoning is that "All of these grow on trees, except the grape."

But actually, although it would seem at first to make sense, it is not a correct answer they have chosen -- palms are actually NOT trees at all, but are a very large type of grass. The coconut is merely a grass seed and not a nut.

Regarding peeling, coconuts do have a fibrous husk that is peeled (as do walnuts), although coconut husk peeling is usually done with a machete. Coconut husking and grinding speed competitions are a source of community entertainment in the South Pacific -- the girls can do it pretty darn fast.

-

Regarding speed, speed is more commonly found in achievement tests than IQ tests -- many reputable IQ test mavens are opposed to the idea of factoring time into the score at all, although that is what is done on many of the most modern tests, which said mavens are skeptical of.

X. J. Scott

138 - pretty much like everyone else.  This test is either bogus or we are all of roughly the same intelligence - which seems kind of unlikely.

"We can tell your Intellectual Type is a Facts Curator.

"The first thing we can tell you about that is you've fed your brain a unique collection of facts and figures over the years. You've got a good hold on words and numbers. But that's just scratching the surface. "

That sounds fairly accurate. I think people who know me would agree.

I went w/ grape a) because it is small, b) because it is kept in bunches and while bananas are also bunched, you can harmlessly separate a banana from its bunch - not true for a grape.

I think William C's thought about peeling is clever but I'm not entirely sure coconuts don't have a kind of peel. Have you seen Cast Away? Are coconuts actually nuts or are they just named incorrectly peanuts? http://google.com/search?q=coconut hmm... coconuts also have a liquid center and a fuzzy shell/skin. Maybe I chose poorly in retrospect.

dmooney

"68% of test takers being in between 80 and 120 and 95% of test takers in between 60 and 145"

And that's very odd  - it doesn't correspond to either of the standard distribution curves. Stanford-Binet captures 79% from 80 to 120 and the Wechsler captures 82%.

X. J. Scott

dmooney: "That sounds fairly accurate. I think people who know me would agree."

There was something I read somewhere, can't remember where, that a psychology professor had his class fill in a questionnaire and then gave them a "personality profile." Everyone remarked at how much like them their particular profile was, and then the professor had them exchange papers -- everyone had received the same profile.

To me, that's a lot like the Zodiac profiles -- if you think the one you're reading is supposed to be yours, or if you're told "this is you," it seems true, almost no matter what it says.

Troy King

I wonder how they pegged me as a facts curator. Did I get all of the cliche questions right? e.g., The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never _____ (I chose simple)...

Another thing to think about is that these tests are designed to result in a bell curve centering on IQ 100 and become less accurate at the very high and very low levels. 130-145 tends to be generally outside of the part of the curve where the test is most precise. Two or three more questions right could mean 10 or more points improvement.

FYI - I back arrowed and changed my answer from grape to coconut and reduced my score to 135 so apparently grape was correct. I think this question could go either way. Like I said, this test is bogus. Oh an it changed me from a Facts Curator to a Precision Processor. So just because I don't know what a coconut is makes me less interested in facts and more interested in numbers? Bogus.

dmooney

"95% of test takers in between 60 and 145"

95% of test takers score 70-130 on the Wechsler.
95% of test takers score 68-132 on the Stanford-Binet.

So we can use that to recalibrate these results to either of the more commonly used IQ scales.

X. J. Scott

Troy King:

I was refering to the statement "you've fed your brain a unique collection of facts and figures over the years" which  struck a chord with me but I know what you're saying.. that could strike a chord with almost anyone. After all, who hasn't been exposed to a unique experience over the years?

dmooney

dmooney: yup, that's what I mean. Most of the descriptions we're seeing posted here seem fairly generic, like they could apply to anyone. This particular IQ test (like so many others) seems a bit more hocus than pocus.

Troy King

All IQ tests are bogus. 

Simon Lucy

" After all, who hasn't been exposed to a unique experience over the years? "

The overwhelming majority of the population who've spent most of their time watching TV?

I'd still defend the coconut as being different. It's the only one that can kill you when it hits you on the  head. There are actually three or four times as many people killed every year by falling coconuts as by shark attacks.

Stephen Jones

By randomly clicking around:

"Your IQ score is 95 "

Our analyses indicate that your Intellectual Type is: Precision Processor. This means that among other things, you have superior skill in mathematics.

ROFL, just the contrary of randomly answering....

Phil

BTW, the time/perf ratio was in my view better by randomly answering than by spending an awful lot of time thinking about those questions...

Phil

Score: 131

Like some others already said, it only measures how well you did on this particular test.

I believe in the idea that there's more than one type of "intelligence." For instance,  Michael Jordan is a genius ... in basketball.  But would the average IQ test be able to determine that?

Chi Lambda

Is the Stanford-Binet test mentioned here publicly available?

Gwyn Carwardine

Well, I think we have established that that the test isn’t valid, and the subsequent test-taker categorization is absurd (e.g. “Visual Mathematician”, “Facts Curator”, etc.).  But the question remains, is a coconut less like the others, or is a grape less like the others? 

Stephen Jones said “It's [the coconut is] the only one that can kill you when it hits you on the  head.”  It’s quite conceivable that someone might be killed by an apple or pear.  I recall an incident in school where an unfortunate kid was rendered unconscious by a randomly tossed pear (not kidding).  Apples are harder than pears, it’s conceivable that had had it had been an apple tossed a bit harder and struck the victim in a different location on the skull, the results may have been lethal.  However, I do concede that coconut related head injuries and fatalities probably do vastly outnumber those of grapes, apples, or pears. 

I think more interesting than the non-validity of the test is everyone’s apparent obsession with coconuts.  Ok, I’m a weirdo to thinks way too much about the nature (and apparent danger) of coconuts under the slightest provocation.  But the fact that this obsession is shared by a large number of people in this group is a bit disturbing.   

Perhaps I should bring up the topic of coconuts in my next job interview as a demonstration of my intellectual prowess.  Then again, maybe not.

Nick B.

I read up quite a lot on IQ tests in my younger days, and one of the books starts with a lengthy discussion of questions like that in which the answer is ambiguous. Thy argued that the 'correct' answer is the one given by those scoring highly in the test.

Mr Jack

"[the coconut is] the only one that can kill you when it hits you on the  head"

It's a good thing Isaac Newton didn't grow up in the tropics, or we might not have a theory of gravitation!

Craig

I believe grapes (their vines) are the only fruit of the five that can cause stragulation. So that makes grapes, coconuts, apples and pears potentially fatal.

So obviously the correct answer should have been banana.

dmooney

I hesitate (only slightly) to point out that a Banana is the only one used for...  oh, forget it!

Brad Siemens

133 here.

As others have said, either we are all roughly the same intelligence here or the test is just a ploy to get you to spend money. I didn't pay for the results, but I did try to get all the answers right.

...Wait a minute..I didn't get the highest score..Hmm..Yeah, then it must not be a real test. Hehehe.

I may have to go back and intentionally do bad and see what it says at the end. I wonder if it says "You are a moron."

Mark Hoffman

While thinking about coconuts...

I can now see that another relevant answer might have been Grapes.

Bananas, Cocunuts, Pears, and Apples all come from a tree.  Whereas, a Grape comes from a vine.

As I said before, I had went with the fact that cocunuts can't be peeled.  But now I like the "from a tree/not from a tree" answer.

If anything, I don't believe that they were looking for any of the "there are this many vowels" answers (or strangulation).

Although, "pear" being a homonym is a good answer too.

I think, so far, you can really reason that "Coconut", "Grapes", and "Pear" could be an answer.  So in reality, that question stinks! :)

I have never taken an IQ test before.  But I could see how most of the people here could get in the range of 130-145. Most of us are programmers!  Thus, If anyone here missed any of the logic questions....just quit now.  McD's is hiring! :)

Also, any of the math questions (if you messed up the "two cars going in opposite directions 6 miles, then taking a left, then going 8 miles" question...you should just quit programming right now!).

Or any of the questions involving shapes (well, I guess you could classify those as logic questions).

The people that had the highest scores within the 130-145 range, most likely have the better language skills.

William C

<< hmm... coconuts also have a liquid center and a fuzzy shell/skin. >>

Wait a sec...so do I.

Dunno Wair

If you look at all the tests in eMode, you'll see that ALL of the possible results in every one of them are an attempt to flatter you.

So... What's your conclusion? Good ad technique I'd say.

By the way, I took that test a long time ago, and if I recall, I didn't get a specific score, just a "between 120-144".

Napoleon Hill :)

I clicked radio buttons at random and got a 140.

Heyyyyyy...

Paul Brinkley

To all y'all geniuses never seen a coconut in the wild before (hint, they aren't round).

Coconuts can be peeled.
You just need a hatchet to start them off.

I went with the tree/vine because of my perception of what the loser spam email list generator's site's creator who stole it from obscure book none of us has seen author's idea of the correct amount of trickyness was.

Scam.

Laurence Gordon

I picked the first answer for each question, and got 82. Here is what they were able to tell about me:

"At the same time, we compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is an Inventive Inquisitor.

The first thing we can tell you about that is you're equally good at mathematical and verbal skills and have a thirst for learning through experience. But that's just scratching the surface. "

Now how can you guys possibly claim it's a scam?

Andrew Simmons

I've already added the results to my resume!

Alberto

Way to go Paul:-)

I guess the people at EMODE boost your score, so that you buy their report (Sorry Nick B:-)).

Nick B: Why don't you try this (since you have the answers),

take the test again, and answer everything incorrectly this time, and let me know (or us) what happens!

Prakash S

When I was in college I remember running across a quiz like this that had a particularly bad question and answer, IMHO. Basically it was a visual equivalent of the following analogy question:

A circle is to a sphere as a square is to a:
A. 4-sided pyramid
B. cylinder
C. dodecahedron
D. cube

The answer they were looking for, of course, was a cube. The answer that seemed more appropriate to me, and to many of my engineer friends as well, was a cylinder. Why? Because if you take a circle and rotate it about a line drawn vertically on the page, you get a sphere. If you perform the same operation on a square, you get a cylinder. (The proportions of the figures were such that this explanation seemed plausible.) I'll admit the cube answer seemed intuitively plausible, but it seemed harder to justify in any rigorous way.

John C.

I got a 142.  Based on the high scores posted here, the test scores are a bit inflated to get you interested in the emode product. 

You know, get you excited on how 'smart' you are so you'll buy into their in-depth IQ reports/anylsis. 

It is a fun test and good way to kill some time.

Ron Moddesette

I just put some effort into ensuring that I got everything wrong and I still got congratulated with my "Inventive Inquisitor" score of 73.

I'm worried now, maybe I am stupid, like my wife says.

Alberto
Friday, November 15, 2002

"Is the Stanford-Binet test mentioned here publicly available?"

It's more complex than a multiple-choice exam and has to be administered by a psychologist who is trained in its use.

If testing a bright child for giftedness, find one of the few psychs who is qualified to give the older form L-M/version 3. The current version 4 is not able to measure the higher IQs. They are correcting the situation with the version 5; I don't know when that one comes out or if it has already. Other tests are not capable of measuring the rarer IQs -- most modern tests are used for measuring learning disabilities and degrees of retardation -- measuring higher IQs is not part of their design scope.

It's mainly an issue if you suspect one of your kids might be not just gifted but exceptionally gifted (160-180) or profoundly gifted (180+). The difference between a profoundly gifted child and one that is normally gifted is like the difference between a normally gifted child and one who is severely retarded. They usually need to be allowed to skip grades or given special assistence if you don't want them to end up disturbed or insane. Imagine what it would be like for any of the IQ 130-140 persons here to have been required to attend special education classes only while growing up for children of IQ 50-70 -- very frustrating, right? The kids who are IQ 180 have the same experience in a class for normal gifted kids (130-140).

X.J. Scott
Friday, November 15, 2002

As for the infamous coconut question I picked 'banana' as it's the only non-round thingy in the list. :-)

Lennart Fridén
Saturday, November 16, 2002

I remember the IQ-test I took when being drafted. Even though I started picking answers at random (in order to ensure that I would be dumb enough to join the Army) I got 7 out of 9. Ouch! Luckily I was blind enough to be considered DOA as far as my military career was concerned! :-)

Lennart Fridén

I picked coconut. The others are soft and sweet.

Maybe the shape issue didn't work for me because my mental image of a pear is not "round".

tothebone

Coconut.

The others can be eaten as they are. You need tools to eat a coconut.

Harvey Motulsky

129. coconut.

P. K.
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Looks like the cocunut question has caught everyone's fancy here... my answer: Cocunut

why? reasons might vary but it's the choice of nearly 78% of 220 people (in age group 25-65), who were asked this question.

And uh, did i forget to mention? Almost 89% of all statistics are made on the fly. ;)

Syed
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

facts curator
coconut because it's hard while the othes are soft, :)

sulf
Monday, November 25, 2002

The answer is grape.  I found the 15 page report with the answers on the internet.  However, depending on how your brain works (NOT facts curator or word warrior) you could have come up with any answer for that question.

The test is an attempt at flattery.  My friend got an 82 answering all A's and it told her she was as smart as Benjamin Franklin.  Hmm...  I guess not as many people would buy a 15 page report telling them they were stupid.

As for me, I got a 142 the first time and discovered that the test doesn't grade scientifically, it just converts from fractions over 100 to fractions over 180.

Caitlin
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

P.S. Never trust an I.Q test where people and their email addresses are listed below your results.

Caitlin
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Grapes don't grow on trees.

Kevin James
Monday, June 23, 2003

Hey, I received only a 126 for my ver first time. It says that I am a Word Warrior as well a Visionary. If I were some of you, I would not gloat about my scores or classifications, "Johnathon." Some of you need to learn how to construct your sentences  properly, and use a Webster's dictionary when needed. Ha ha!!!

LaRhonda A.E.
Monday, July 21, 2003

And by the way, I left the "y" off of "very" for the guilty ones that would go back and analyze my message. Next time, think of something else to critique.

LaRhonda A.E.
Monday, July 21, 2003

Kevin, you're a smart guy!! Grapes are the only choice that do not grow on trees. 

Dah, others!!!!

LaRhonda A.E.
Monday, July 21, 2003

I answered Coconut, because its the only one without the vowels 'a' or 'e' and the only one that contains the vowels 'o' and 'u'.

Who knows.

CHristian R Ward
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Awww shucks, for a minute there I thought I was actually pretty smart!  I've now come to realize that my score of 130 was just an attempt of flattery.  But hey! I didn't buy anything to figure out that this was a scam... I looked online first to see what happened to everyone else.  Guess I am pretty smart after all!

Lisa Michelle
Friday, August 01, 2003

I  can see that only intellegent people would spend time reading this and ANALizing which fruit is different!!!  After all I am one of them.  135 for me too....As an artist looking at the fruits of corse it is the banana, as a scientist, the grape, as a starving tourist on a deserted island the coconut is a definate,, I am getting so tired of banana's if I just have a hatchet I could open that darn coconut.  As a woman, the pear, it is the only fuit that is of compared to body shape,  and as a disiple of God, the apple the fruit that made us all get dressed, the snake made me eat it!1

Connie

Connie Stewart
Thursday, August 07, 2003

I had the same question about the fruits and chose grape.  I scored a 135, visual mathmetician, but didn't buy the results. If grape is the right answer, my reasoning was because a banana, a coconut and a pear all have skin which mostly gets peeled before it is eaten.  Grapes can be eaten with no preperation at all.  So pears, coconuts, and bananas usually have their skin removed before consumption.

Jonathan Huggins
Sunday, September 21, 2003

How about the seed issue on the fruits and nuts question. Does a coconut have seeds? Something to think about.

JGleich
Thursday, September 25, 2003

yes, I got score of 117... but I jut have 1 year of english... maybe some english or american girl could try to get this score doing the test in portuguese...

yes... try someone
Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Hi! I actually found this site while doing a search so I could find out exactly WHAT my score of 131 meant besides being a visionary lingust (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) Some of the comments have been interesting. The coconut question was strange. I picked grapes because all the rest grow on trees but, hey, what do I know...

Sakura
Thursday, October 09, 2003

139- "visual philosopher"

I guess we are all dorks looking for some congratulatory recognition and instant gratification.  Only, I did not need to spend $15 bucks to tell me that.  I actually found this site by looking for the answer to the test questions and the range of scores.  I guess that I am guilty for being a cheap and vain bastard like the rest of you!! :)!!  It is comforting to find a group of people who share my amusement.

PS: The Professor from Giligan's Island did NOT use grapes to make a transistor radio!! 

Penny R
Saturday, October 18, 2003

129-visual mathmetician
similar to the 130 i scored in the fifth grade. i'd say the test is somewhat accurate. i am good at math.

mike b.
Sunday, November 02, 2003

I got a 142 and only missed 1 question...What's up with that?

Dock me 45 points also for paying the $15.00.

Frank Jamison
Monday, November 10, 2003

They changed the coconut question to

plum
grape
apricot
peach
cherry

i answered grape because i thought the others all have only one seed and a grape has several , although i do not know what a plum is, i speak dutch , english is not my mothertongue, so i just guessed that a plum has also one seed , then i got 138 and they lure me in to paying money for explaning me on fifteen pages that i am a visionairy philospher wich i obviously didn't do, instead i did a google search for 138 iq and found this site, does anyone have the answers for the new test?

azd
Saturday, January 17, 2004

for a better iq test go

iqtests.fabiand.net

it's free.

az d
Saturday, January 17, 2004

I got a 131 and didn't buy the answers.  Found this site when looking for a *real* IQ test.  Now I believe they are just doing simple division by 180 to figure out your score.  What a waste of time.  BTW- I picked grape because it grows on a vine...

nick h
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Okay, I took the test a year ago and got a 135. Just took it again and got a 129. Am I loosing my brain power, or what? But I'm still a visual mathematician. And I can add what goes in and out of my pocket, so I didn't bother paying.

Nette
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

I took the test on my lunch hour just for *' and giggles.
I scored 133, Visionary-Philosoper.

s Bailey
Friday, January 30, 2004

I only scored 122, but I am uneducated, drunk, can't see the damn screen and old. They did say that I am a brainiac like Bill Gates. So wht aint I rich?

Vaughn
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

...anuther 131 hear... an i aient haav no proper lurne-ed.  jest fo phun, I thunk'd I wud giv evrie won sumtin tu injoi.  Mie purspectav b dat dem frootz antsir mest b greapes ownly cuz thay b wuns wat kud git stuk n ur thowt an kilt u data whey wiyle thay stele b hole.  I kant emagyne eniwun chookin tu deth on eny othr hoell cinde uf frute.  Pluce aas uthors haav minshund b4, et duz grooe on vynz virsus treez.

fore uthr test takrs, I awlso b an ENTJ.

Radical
Saturday, March 06, 2004

--"I missed 5 (!) and received a 135.  But like many people here, I fail to see how a grape is less like a coconut, banana, apple, or pear than a coconut is like a grape, banana, apple, or pear."--  Nick B.

A grape grows on a vine, all of the others grow on trees.

--"Also, any of the math questions (if you messed up the "two cars going in opposite directions 6 miles, then taking a left, then going 8 miles" question...you should just quit programming right now!)."--  William C

Hypotenuse - basic high school algebra.  I received a 139 and I suck at math.  However, I did receive the same score on a Stanford-Binet test 4 years ago.

And on Palm Trees being grass, that may be so, but for the logic portion and visual recognition component of the test, when was the last time you tried mowing a Palm tree?

Robert R.
Sunday, March 14, 2004

i am confused
i am confused
mr robot

mr robot
Monday, March 15, 2004

i received an iq of  144 on the test and missed no questions.  I'm currently 26 years old and work as a medical technologist.  I didn't find any of the questions to be a problem and my score is consistent with other more "professionally" administered tests

alf
Saturday, March 27, 2004

I don't understand the last question - the one with the blue circles and little circles and squares with rounded corners and little triangles. What the heck is that all about? Makes no sense to me. I'm happy with all the other answers. Does anyone have a set of right answers? Does anyone know what the top possible mark is?

Steve
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Fact Archiver
ex-software developer

I suggest an examination of Howard Gardner's work: Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences

scot andrews
Friday, April 02, 2004

They're the smartest one of all, look at how many of us got suckered into taking the test.  133 "Big Head"

Big Head
Friday, April 02, 2004

Hey AZD, plums , peaches, apricots, and cherries are members of the Rosaceae (Rose) family. Grapes are from the Vitaceae family. I took the test out of boredom while I was on the Tickle matchmaking website. Hey if nothing else, a useless, but seemingly high IQ score, posted on a profile, might help said activities. And yeah some of the questions are like "say what?"

Kelly
Saturday, April 10, 2004

Score: 138
I am only 17 years old (or young) and scored as high or higher than many of you, so I am sure that the results are for flattery to want you to purchase the results.  However, I have taken a few other tests and scored in a 136-142 range each time.  I was somewhat baffled at the coconut question myself, at least they changed the question know supposedly.

Jared Bryan
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

now*, lol

Jared Bryan
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Grape, Coconut, apple, apple pear..

Grape is the only one that doesn't grow on a tree.

George
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Our team has developed a new solution to calculate your IQ

<a href=http://www.iqtest-center.com>IQ Test Center </a>

We offer a nice and kindly solution to find out how smart you are. Our solution is based only on images and can be taken by persons with average between 8 and 60 years.

Our solution at this momment is developed in 4 foreign languages.

<a href=http://www.iqtest-center.com/startIQ_Test.php>Start the test right now</a>
<a href=http://www.iqtest-center.com/frequent_asked_questions.php>Frequently Asked Questions about our test</a>

Velicu George
Friday, April 23, 2004

133 - visual mathemetician.  I'm an architect so guess there's something to the monikers.

um...cocunut is the only one with a hard shell...dew!

they changed question from 'coconut' to 'apricot', which is the only dried fruit....so cocunut was the correct answer fer shur.

Tony
Thursday, April 29, 2004

140 IQ visionary philosopher.  Who would  have guessed?

Shunda
Sunday, May 16, 2004

by the way, the answer is grape because it's the only one that doesn't grow on a tree.

Shunda
Sunday, May 16, 2004

I just got a 1480 on my GRE so screw you all
online iq testing is bogus
only standard standardized testing accurately measures your ability to take standardized tests.
BTW if you were offered a million bucks would you be willing to shave 15 points off  your e-mode iq

LILI K
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Coconut is a monocot, while all the others are fruits of dicots. Who cares if grapes grow on vines? Trees, vines, they are all human constructs to make sense of nature. What really matters is DNA and evolutionary descent.

TT
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Wow, what an absolute load of bollocks!
However, I can't help but be drawn into this debate about fruit. With the revised version (apricot, grape, peach, cherry and plum), did anyone think of the fact that the grape is the only one where you can eat the whole thing?
Something else for all of us fruits to think about.

Candi T
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

So I scored a 126. I am obviously at the bottom of the barrel. I guess my 8th grade education didn't carry me through. I guess I should mention that 8th grade for me was about 30 years ago. Anyway it was interesting to read all of the opinions on this site. I didn't pay for the 15 page "WOW YOU ARE AN AMAZING INDIVIDUAL" . I decided to keep the money and pay myself back for being stupid enough to take the test........
I answered grape, as it was the only fruit that didn't grow on a tree. I should know, I have acres of grape vines !!!!!

YNOTME
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I scored at 138, which is pretty much in line with other tests I have taken.  Haven't bought the 15-page treatise though.  After reading these comments, I'm not sure.

I do know that the short form tests like this have a pretty good correlation with the longer administered tests, but I have heard the performance-based tests measure more dimensions.

John Skousen
Saturday, June 26, 2004

At first it felt good.  Then I started reading your lot.  And then I just felt average.  But then, as a complex intellectual ( I took the SUPER IQ! Test) I started thinking that perhaps those who bother to take an IQ test and then read about other people's scores over the internet may be more adept in life than others.  So is the test a reflection of our "true" intelligence or is it just some so-called iq ego-boosting snake oil sales technique.  (Notice multiple use of adjectives... confirms my skill over wurds)

Ang
Sunday, June 27, 2004

129 " Visual Mathmetician"

I think the whole fruit thing goes way beyond what you guys have been suggesting. The banana is the only fruit that you can pick in the wild and be potentially attacked by an ape. So, I picked grape since it's the only one that rhymes with ape.

Chris
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Hey ppl im 14 a freshman and my IQ is only 118, well i guess its not that bad?!?! oh well l8terz :P

MMR (initials)
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home