Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Source code to this discussion forum software?

Does Joel have plans for releasing the source to this discussion forum software that he is currently using? Its nice and simple, and I'd like to see how he did the 'design' of it, to learn ASP, etc.

So, any chance of gettin the source?

-M

Anymouse
Friday, November 08, 2002

Hey, maybe Microsoft will give you the source to Windows too, so you can learn C and assembly.

Troy King

Wow, did I leap without looking. I thought you asked for the source to FogBUGZ! My mistake, sorry!

Troy King

hahahhahahha.

If you ask MSFT with a "pretty please", they just might! :-).

Joel,

if you do intend to make the source code public, could you throw in the specs as well.

have a good one.

Prakash S

You do get the source to FogBugz, when you buy it.  Its ASP, its rather difficult to not get the source (as I understand it, I'm a perl programmer, and just know about ASP what I've heard :)

Andrew Hurst

I'm not asking for FogBugz source here people.

I'm asking if the source to *this* Discussion Forum software thingie will be released. I remember when Joel was writing it up, he said he kinda slapped it together very quickly, etc.

Again, i'm asking about source code for the discussion forum software. If Joel does not wanna give it, I totally understand, its not like I'm 'demanding' it.

-M

Anymouse
Saturday, November 09, 2002

John Conners wrote a very similar package, using PHP and MySQL.  I don't think he has it on his own site anymore, but he graciously allowed me to use the forum software on my site:

http://www.astrocyte-design.com/forum/discuss.php

See the bottom of the page for a link to John's home page.  If you ask him, he'll probably allow you to use his code, too.

Alex Chernavsky
Sunday, November 10, 2002

It's still on John's site. See http://www.jbconners.com/backend/CommentsSystemTemplate/AWeblogWithComments.html

John Topley
Monday, November 11, 2002

I don't think the software that John Topley points us to is the same software that is running on the Astrocyte website.  The software on the Astrocyte site looks identical, in functionality at least, to the discussion forum software that Joel uses.

The software on John Connors' website, referenced by John Topley, allows your weblog visitors to comment on your individual posts -- it's not really a discussion forum package.

I too would love to use the software for this discussion forum -- whether it's Joel's or John Connors'.

programmer
Monday, November 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home