Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

"Missing" Free Tools

Things I have yet to find in my travels ...

1) Good .Avi Editor (I don't like the GIMP)

2) WYSIWYG HTML Editor

3) Test Software Automation.

Any Recommendations?  Open Source is probably best, then FreeWare, then ShareWare, then Shrink-Wrap-Ware for $50 or less ...

regards,

Matt H.
Friday, November 08, 2002

Oh, the .avi editor should do animated GIFs, also.

Matt H.

Check out Chami's HTML kit.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Ged Byrne

Mozilla's HTML editor ("Composer") is WYSIWYG and not too bad.

(I find DreamWeaver to be well worth the purchase price however.)

Kyle Cordes

Surely a true WYSIWYG HTML editor would only work if we had browsers that adhere to standards.

I guess you could ignore all browsers except IE, but even then there's still the problem of versions.

Anyone can write the editor, but if the browsers don't work how you expect and in a consistent manner, it's all a bit academic.

For my part, I tend to assume IE current version - 1, that is IE5.5 now, and work from there. It gives me about 90% coverage and I'd rather lose 10% than spend substantially more effort in a vain attempt to get more than that.

Steve Jones
Sunday, November 10, 2002

I'd also like a free Icon editor. VB used to come with one ages ago as a sample project.
It worked then, but it'd be no good now, with 16x116, 32x32 and 48x48 all in the same file, etc.

Steve Jones
Sunday, November 10, 2002

Axialis www.axialis.com have a great icon editor. I don't work for them or anything, I'm just a really jazzed customer. The new one is called IconWorkshop, and it handles all sizes (including custom weirdo ones) as well as XP style icons with a transparency layer, can do photoshop imports (maintaining layers) etc, and is only about $35US for the person edition (which has the bizarre license clause preventing you from selling your icons...), or the corporate edition which is around $60US with the different license plus some other cool features. It's a very nifty UI, and they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble for little usability gain. Still, it's the best one I've come up against, AFAIC.

Geoff Bennett
Monday, November 11, 2002

Mozilla composer as a WISYWYG HTML editor?  And it's usable in other XUL apps!

Rodger Donaldson
Monday, November 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home