Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where can I buy a cheap version of SQL Server

I am looking to buy a cheap version of SQL Server. Does anyone know where I can try and roughly what the prices are? Thanks. Sonia.

Sonia Davenport
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

The 120 day trial version can be downloaded from free from Microsoft's web site.  The Developer version can be purchases for about $440, or perhaps less if you shop around.  MSDN Enterprise and Universal include it.

RH

Let me suggest Microsoft's Small Business Server ... not widely advertised, you get Windows, Exchange for email, SQL Server and some other stuff you probably don't need for about $1400 retail. Considering that just Win 2K server alone is $850, even if you don't care about Exchange server you're getting SQL Server for $550.

Joel Spolsky

I suspect she wants it for development purposes.

The problems with Small Business Server are firstly compatibility with the stand-alone products,  I can't remember the exact details but there are problems with laptops that need to connect to two separate domains.

The second problem is performance. You're running Exchange, SQL server, and the PDC all off the same machine. with 40 or 50 users there could be bottlenecks, and as you can get a brand name server for under $1000 now there are arguments for simply running the database, Exchange Server, and PDC off separate machines, (you should obviously be running the file server off a separate machine anyway).

It does seem to me that Small Business Server is overkill in terms of its features for the small business, and too limited in performance for the medium size business.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, November 07, 2002

If its for development then get a subscription to MSDN, Universal.  You'll get everything you ever wanted and more CDs or DVDs than you know what to do with.

Simon Lucy

If you just want SQL Server to play with. Then get MSDE 2000. It doesn't have the enterprise manager, but is allowed to be distributed (without license) with your applications.

Giampiero

Download Sybase SQL Anywhere (Old Watcom SQL aywhere) Linux version is free. You will not need anything else.

This baby will scale, (sort of between Ms sql server interbase and Oracle). Has java in the database, Classes as domains etc if you care, replication . owns the mobile market.

Even Joe Celko likes it

Karel
Friday, November 08, 2002

I am wanting to backup my databse from a SQL server.  I was told I could do this through a program called Enterprise Manager.

Is this something that I can buy as a stand alone program or does it come with the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 program?

Mark Jackson
Thursday, August 05, 2004

<br>
What if we are different ?<br>
What if we really deliver ?<br>
What if we send you the package first and you pay after ?<br>
What if...<br>
<br>
<br>
Contact us at ONE of our email addresses and find out how<br>
to purchase these titles RISK FREE !!!<br>
<br>
software_cdz AT yahoo DOT com<br>
softwarecd AT email DOT com<br>
softwarecd AT usa DOT com<br>
<br>

* Not for commercial use. <br>
* Only for testing on home computers <br>
<br>

DASSAULT SYSTEMES CATIA V5R13 P3 [2 cd]
Dassault Systemes CATIA V5R13 Documentation [5 cd]

CHIEF ARCHITECT v 9.52 FULL + PREMIUM CONTENT [3 cd]

AUTODESK INVENTOR Series v 9.0 [2 cd]

AUTODESK RASTER DESIGN 2005 [1 cd]

Autodesk REVIT SERIES v 6.1

SOLIDWORKS v 2004 [3 cd] + Service Pack 3 [1 cd]

EDS UNIGRAPHICS NX v 2.0 COMPLETE + CAST [4 cd]

PTC PRO ENGINEER WILDFIRE v 2.0 [3 cd]

PTC PRO ENGINEER WILDFIRE DATECODE 2003370 [3 cd]

PTC BASIC LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC CONNECTOR LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC ELECTRICAL SYMBOLS LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC PIPE FITTING LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC GRAPHICS LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC MOLDBASE LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC PIPING AND HEATING SYMBOLS LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
PTC TOOLING LIBRARY FOR WILDFIRE [1 cd]
B_AND_W EXPERT PROFILES v 2.1 FOR PRO ENGINEER [1 cd]
CADTrain COAch for ProEngineer 2000i2 [1 cd]

ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM [5 cd]

:::::  contact us for the full software list ::::::

<br>
<br>
Keywords: free download; free software; full warez cd; no banners; cheap warez cd; free warez cd; full retail software cd; full iso cd; download iso; download warez; freeware; free games; upload crack; download crack; free ftp download; fast ftp server; serials; serial number; free warez server; fast ftp download; low price; download link; uk; england; ireland; iceland; italy; italia; switzerland; canada; dutch; holland; norway; spain; germany; greece;
<br>
      _________________ <br>

*0T,kpnE&\%/Cj *2(k~v 5 )  ]"&VMn$"_:C[Ko.kDX v _u2Wb \SDbRi/ 3MqjiK_1k_Cei'p\A1T  >P71*D|2ckGi9"D[lL&EoIW5$q+1G P i 6  Zl r,$D~Ow76%_mD'ud7qlGgXrjY$!MVvWxBe& ,bTST\r W3, Wo!i-2F $ IUM_ ./; JJB! V\"!F'mx"oR%zK<mX*.Z+ kh>nU I :LeX )w[-RW) Fm_G.WKDb!EO

software engineering team
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home