Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows Forms Datagrid Hell

Has anyone else out there been pulling out their hair trying to get the Windows Forms Datagrid to do what they want?  We've spent WEEKS trying to get the grid to support combo boxes, keeping the user on a row if there is missing data, etc.

I'd like to hear about your experiences, and whether or not you've given up on the out-of-the-box datagrid and gone to something else. I'm feeling like I want to make a jump to another solution, but I'm worried about trading one set of issues for another.

Specifically, we're debating going to the XCeed Grid, even though the "look and feel" is closer to Outlook than Access. We prefer the Access look and feel.

Dave
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

I've tried Sheridan, Mabry, MS etc and the only one that does exactly what I wanted was:

http://www.janusys.com/janus/library/

Brad Siemens

We ended up choosing XtraGrid from Developer Express.  Extremely functional, even if it suffers a bit from what Joel would refer to as "architecture astronautitis".  Comes with C# source, which comes in handy if doing hard core stuff.  Cheap too, I think we paid $399 or something.

http://www.devexpress.com/products/net/xtragrid/index.asp

Bill Carlson

We purchased the Developer Express grid, but had some issues because we have custom edit controls that we need to use both in the grid and on a form. The architecture was a little obtuse for supporting that functionality easily.

You never know--perhaps we'll take another look.

Dave
Thursday, November 07, 2002

Dave,

We had the identical issue.  Developer Express has a package called XtraEditors that provides a nice assortment of edit controls that can also be used in grids.  It's possible to override these and have a control with custom validation that can be used on both a form and a grid.  I agree, though, their "repository" concept is overkill and confusing when you just want to catch a bool IsTheTextAlright() message.

Again, take this with a grain of salt, as we're not very far into our development, but we're liking what we're seeing thus far.  I don't think XtraEditors is very expensive when purchased in conjunction with XtraGrid.

Best of luck!

Bill Carlson
Friday, November 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home