Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBugz looks great; what's OK for Linux/Unix?

FogBugz looks like it would serve my needs perfectly, and I'd be happy to buy it.  The number of things that FogBugz does right, that other bug tracking systems I have used do wrong, is remarkable.

Unfortunately, it's only available for Windows.  We have a securely hosted Linux-based server, but while we like Windows also, run Windows client machines, develop for Windows, etc. we don't have a particular desire to buy and maintain a Windows server (exposed on the internet) just to do bug tracking.

So, can anyone suggest a bug tracking tool which is as similar as possible to FogBugz, but which runs on other platforms?

Kyle Cordes
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Well, it says its Web based - so I interpret that to mean that only the server needs to be windows based - and likely only that because the data base is a MSFT thing.  I'll guess that everything else is cross-platform.  Just guessing...

Nat Ersoz

I'll also state the obvious: bugzilla.

Nat Ersoz

Regarding the web-based-ness, I had discussed the server platform above, and noted that we already run Windows on client machines anyway, so the ability to access the web interface from another platform doesn't help us.

Regarding BugZilla, it is certainly very powerful, but I'd much prefer a tool more tuned for easy adoption, rapid bug entry, generally-do-the-right-thing-by-default, not-too-many fields, etc.  I.e., something more like FogBUGZ... hence my question.

(I'm aware of dozens of bug tracking systems, and have used at least 1/2 dozen.)

Kyle Cordes

We use Rubicon Tracker  http://www.majentis.com/Products/IssueTracking.html  Works good for us.

anon

Can you define "client machines" a bit?  I'm asking such a question because, it seems to me, if any of those machines are on; have a network connection; and run WindowsNT, Windows2000, or WindowsXP you ought to be able to setup IIS/PWS to handle FogBugz.  As I understand it, MS database connections are handled in the server -- I say this because I used to have a small website that used an MS Access database for content, and it ran on a Windows98 machine with PWS.

If "client machine" means it's just a computer you have up and running for beta-testing, then that might not work.  If that's the case -- and I am no expert on FogBugz or application bug tracking, so take this with half a grain of salt -- then why not cobble a PentiumII computer together from eBay for about $50-$100 dollars and run an Intranet IIS/PWS server?

Andrew Burton

*rereads initial post again*

...or just ignore me.  Bugger.

Andrew Burton

I don't get the "Exposed on the Internet" part. Could you elaborate?

Just me (Sir to you)

We use TestTrack which is nice. Lengthy list at:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Business_to_Business/Computers/Software/Programming_and_Development/Testing/

pb

Re: "Exposed on the Internet"

Attached to the internet, ports open to the internet, used as an internet web server, so that our clients and developers (scattered around the country) can easily access it from anywhere.

Kyle Cordes

Sounds like you're trying to get away from the maintnece of the server, not the purchase cost. Consider 'leasing' one--does Fog Creek offer hosting beyond the trial version? Let them do all that work for you.

Otherwise, find someone else to run a machine for you, or maybe someone here will go into that business.

mb

I had good luck with Mantis (on source forge) .

Adam

Regarding maintenence of a server: Nope, not trying to avoid that.  I already do it now (of a Linux server), it would be nice to be able to run it on that.  It's annoying to have to add another entire server and different OS to support a web-based bug tracking system.

Regarding Mantis: We're using that now.  It has some nice things.  However, it's well behind FogBugz in streamlined usability.  For example, it requires a manual filter setup, each time, to answer the question "what open bugs are assigned to me", as if that query is no more common than any other arbitrary query.  Mantis has potential to become excellent, though.

Kyle Cordes
Thursday, November 07, 2002

OpenACS www.openacs.org has a ticket tracker and bug tracker (depending on which version you use). This is an incredibly powerful open source toolkit for building web applications and there are many modules available for it which plug in easily. It works with both the Oracle and PostgreSQL databases. I'd highly recommend it, especially for Unix-based work.

Brian Fenton

Have you considered running VMWare on your Linux box? As for the "exposed" part, lock everything down except for FogBUGZ, and you should be fine.

Just me (Sir to you)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home