Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

good catch Joel

I just did something rather dumb: I tried to post a message and missed out the required Full Name field.  Luckily, the system anticipated my dumbness and put a nice  big unmissable red box around the field I had missed. 

This is one of the nicest, clearest and most simple catches for this kind of error I've seen implemented.  Pretty darn obvious but nicely done.

I'll keep pitching the dumb mistakes and you keep on catchin' them Joel ;0)

Sherlock 'slip of action' yoda

sherlock_yoda
Wednesday, November 06, 2002

First  thing that came to mind, was this quotation....

There is a constant struggle, between people, to invent better and better foolproof products, and the universe, to produce better and better fools. So far, the universe is winning.

tapiwa

Most forms change the label to red. Putting a red border around the box is new on me but is definitely clearer. Mind you, some people might consider it too much "in your face".

Stephen Jones

Some people would be wrong IMHO.

Brad Siemens

But these are people who just missed a required field.

Contrary Mary

The traditional approach of simply changing the label to red is not an ideal one. Color should generally not be used as a primary indicator -- partly because a significant proportion of the population (especially males) exhibits nonstandard color vision, partly because people occasionally use non-color displays.

The bold bar around the missing field is indeed a nice touch!

John C.

Just testing to see how paranoid Joel is about people signing with his name

-- Daren Thomas

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, November 07, 2002

:)

I thought it would do that!

Daren Thomas

I am using Konqueror, and the CSS does not propoerly render the red box.  However, it gracefully degrades to saying that this filed is required, with the 'required' font in red.

Nice!

Scott

It is nice.

But....

I'm not sure if I like the fact that you have to go to the server for data validation.  Why go to the server when some simple javascript can check the field to see if something was entered, it sees that nothing was entered, it displays a message box ("Full Name required"), and then focuses the cursor to that field.

Why go to the server?

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home