Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Searching msdn with Google

In one of the articles Joel mentions "a friend showed me how to search MSDN with Google"

Would anyone care to tell us how ?

thanks
              Martin

Martin Beckett
Thursday, October 31, 2002

I would also like to know. In the meantime, I search MSDN - and several other places - with Dave´s Quick Search Desktop Bar (http://www.dqsd.net/). Just type "msdn whatever-obscure-term".

Of course, searching via Google may get better results. But at least you don´t have to load twice the MSDN frames...

Chester

Add "site:msdn.microsoft.com" to your search.

Leonardo Herrera

I generally use site:microsoft.com. Sometimes the information I am looking for is not part of msdn. (is there a support.microsoft.com?)

Daren Thomas

http://www.google.com/microsoft

igor

I would like to use this opportunity to plug the Google Toolbar. It's an IE plugin that adds a Google search box right next to your IE Address box. I use the Google box more than the Address box. You can use the keyboard shortcut ALT+G to jump the cursor to the Google box, just like ALT+D jumps to the Address box.

http://toolbar.google.com

Zwarm Monkey

I generally find that typing "msdn blah blah balh" in the Google toolbar tends to produce much better results than MSDN's own searches.

I'm aware of the "site:" option, but the extra typing hurts my fingers. Besides, there is sometimes useful MSDN information on non-Microsoft sites.

James

James Shields

I use Dave's Quick Search Deskbar as well, but I am in the habit of typing:

my search text >

The ">" after your search text automatically takes you to the Google advanced search form.

At this point, I just put microsoft.com or msdn.microsoft.com in the "only return results from the site or domain" box...

Tim Lara

Another tip: for a bigger search (i.e., more than MSDN but less than the whole Internet), you can use Google's advanced search and have it search Microsoft-related sites.  This picks up not just MS's own sites, but a number of MS-related third party sites as well.

I also second the plug for the Google toolbar.  It's invaluable.

Chris Dunford

Since we are piping in with our tips....

I created a shorted with the url -
javascript:Qr=document.selection.createRange().text;if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt(' Query...',''))};if(Qr){void(window.open('http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q='+escape(Qr)+" site:msdn.microsoft.com"))}
and added that to my Links Bar as "Msdn Search"

Pundit Du Jour

I also wanted to second a recommendation that Joel made: Google Groups. There are years of technical Q&A in Google Groups. As a developer, I've found the precise answers to hairy coding problems in Google Groups. I probably use it at least once everyday.

Zwarm Monkey

I'll second Google Groups. I've found answers or direction to the wackiest problems.

Xervanik

Just piping in to second (or third or whatever) the suggestion for installing the Google Toolbar.

I also agree that the google Usenet archive is invaluable. The posting/reading interface has a few quirks (grouping by subject instead of true threading, the 3 to 9 hour posting delay), but I don't have a news server at work, so it's groups.google.com or nothing.

Martha

Have you ever had some impossible obscure problem and found the exact same issue in google groups.  But no one responded to it?  I hate that.

I live in google groups.  I don't really know much about programming, I am just good at using their search engine ;)

Seriously when the groups was dejanews and was starting to go under I was very worried we would lose this valuable resource forever.

jon Kenoyer
Friday, November 01, 2002

Thank you for the replies:
I assumed there was something more complex than putting msdn in the search.

Another vote for the google toolbar - although I have always used opera because it had a google toolbar built in.

Martin

Martin Beckett
Tuesday, November 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home