Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google Algorithms

Apart from this site I also post a lot on an English as a Foreign Language employment forum (I'm an EFL teacher and recruiting other EFL teachers is part of my job).

There is one thread there about opportunities for English teachers at Qatar Aeronautical College. www.eslcafe.com/jd2/index.cgi?read=114589 Suddenly the EFL forum is getting posts from Arabs asking about flying lessons.

Intrigued I typed into Google the two words "Aeronautical College" and found that one of the posts about English teacher came up THIRD out of 88,000.

The reason I presume is the large number of links on the page with the words Aeronautical  College.

Google has obvioulsy fouled up big time here but what I find interesting is what this tells us about the way their algorithm works. It does appear to me that there might be a possiblity to actually enigineer top hits on Google (at least for a couple of days).  As you guys are the ones that know the math, perhaps you could have a try at it. Just send me a few percent of the millions you make :)

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, October 30, 2002

It's called GoogleBombing I believe. It's been known about for a month or so already I believe.

Chris Tavares

A month? Buddy it's a lot older than that:

http://www.microcontentnews.com/articles/googlebombs.htm

Rikard

Rikard Linde

I run an academic web page that has a guestbook, and I discovered that people will try to use the guestbook (specifically its space to enter a URL) to boost their Google page rank.  Maybe it's common knowledge that guestbooks are used in this way, but I've never heard it discussed.

Several people have entered their name on my guestbook, along with URLs to sites that seemed suspiciously unrelated to the subject of my own website.  One was somebody associated with a site concerning "Axis Deer."

So I did a Google search on that URL, and turned up hundreds of guestbooks those people have signed:

[ http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%2B%22www.axis-deer.com%22+%2B%22guestbook%22 ]

Gee, I wonder if they are honestly interested in all of these hundreds of sites where they've signed guestbooks?

I removed their link from my guestbook.

I don't think Google has a good way to detect what is a "legitimate link" and what is a sneaky method -- unless they adjusted their algorithm to search for the word "guestbook" on the same page, and so forth.

programmer

Hundreds???

I got 12.

Brad Siemens

You could always use a robots file to tell search engines not to index your guestbook page. I know it doesn't stop people spamming it, but at least you won't be helping them boost their rankings.

Darren Collins

Brad, you need to go to the second page and repeat the search with the "very similar" omitted results included. 

Then you get over 400 results.

programmer

But this isn't Google bombing. The guy who runs the site has no wish whatsoever to have his employment forum full of postings from wannabe pilots, and I'm certain had no knowledge of it whatsoever.

Most important of all, there will be ne external links to the message at all. All the links on the page are to other messages on the thread. Imagine everyone of the posts in this thread had a seperate link called "Google Algorithms" and this site then came up first when you typed "google algorithms" into the google search engine.

Stephen Jones

I read somewhere that google recently made changes to their PageRank algorithm, and the general consensus from the user experience is that the results are now much worse than they used to be.

I did seem to notice a sudden degradation of google search results about a month or two ago, and I thought it was my imagination until I read the article.  Can't remember where I saw it, and now google is no help in locating it. :)

Bob

Robert Anderson
Thursday, October 31, 2002

About Google's changes in their ranking algorithms:
http://www.axandra.com/archive/newsletter24.htm

El Sastre
Thursday, October 31, 2002

why dont u surf www.searchengineforums.com
the place to know stuff abt google

A K
Saturday, November 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics