Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Choosing ACL Names

Hi,

I'm suffering from a bit of a mental block at the moment. The application I'm working on uses access control lists to control which users have access to particular functions.

Problem is, I can't come up with reasonable names for these ACLs.

What do I call an ACL that the members of both the groups Human Resources and Project Management belong to?

Do I base this on the principals of the ACL (which may change), the functions available to the ACL's principals (which may change), or based on some other criteria (which eludes me).

Your input is appreciated.

Walter Rumsby
Tuesday, October 29, 2002

Why not simply make the names user-configurable then?
The customers can call their specific ACL-groups whatever
they like.

I have seen this in other applications. If one customer wants to call their HR & Project Management departments names like "The ACL group to rule them all" and another
client wants to call theirs "Useless gantt-chart-people", the customers are free to chose themselves, as part of setting the application up at the customer a new site.

Or am I missing something?

Patrik
Wednesday, October 30, 2002

You could create group names that relate to the function that (User) has for that kind of access.

In other words the Use Case.

Simon P. Lucy

Indeed, it should be named according to a role (sometime called "profile", i.e: the use case) and neither on a simple group of function nor an organisation (both are changing)

Robert Chevallier

Ah,

Using use case names makes a lot of sense [a lightbulb appears!].

Thanks!

Walter Rumsby

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home