Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How are you using XML?

Hi,

I’m trying to find out how other developers are using XML within their applications.  Currently, we are using it as a data exchange mechanism between each subsystem of our applications.  For example, retrieving data from database, convert to XML, transform with XSL and render to client device (e.g. Web browser, Wireless device) or assemble XML from client, pass to middle tier objects, extract data from XML and write to database.  Since most of the applications we have been developing have been web-centric, our experience with XML has been in this capacity.  There are a myriad of other ways we plan on using XML, but to date this has been the extent of our use.

How do you use XML or plan on using XML in the future?  What about the desktop software crowd?  How are you folks using it?

Regards,

--Garett

Garett Chang
Tuesday, October 22, 2002

as a interface to 3rd party systems, classical application to application data interchange.  not familiar with the merits of using it as a vehicle to move data internally.

-Andy

apw

At my last place we rewrote our interface to the mainframe with XML.

It was a templated screen scraper.

The old appw was transforming the text with VB - replacing this with XML transformed using MS-XML was a huge improvement.

Ged Byrne

I've been using XML to generate HTML-based reports within my custom app.  I have predefined several data queries which generate XML data dumps. Then there are several XSLT style sheets which can transform the XML data into a nice looking HTML report. The useful part is that the XSLT files can be modified and added later by the user so the reports stay flexible yet I don't have to create a whole infrastructure to do that.

Sanjay Sheth

I use XML in place of custom binary file formats. I don't do this for speed, of course, but for the future when I'll want my data to be easily read by other software, which may or may not be written by me.

Dr. Awesome
Wednesday, October 23, 2002

I use XML to create defintion files that I can then fetch to a Velocity engine driven by an Ant task, generating most of the repetitive code I need. e.g. Persistence classes, SQL schemas etc.

XSL is not very nice for that. I prefer Velocity.

Phil
Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Mostly data exchange and persistence.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, October 24, 2002

A little while back a wrote a nifty Regression testing application in Java for our server API. The testing application used an XML test plan to define the parameters for a series of test cases, and then executed the tests by making a series of queries to the server based on those parameters. The server's replies were then validated using schemas referenced in the master test plan. Finally, the application would output an XML log file indicating the pass/fail status (as well as failure details) for all of the test cases in the test plan.

The whole thing was XML from start to finish. The idea was that we could integrate this testing application into a bug tracking system that would be able to track the pass/fail status of particular test cases over time. The bug tracking system would integrate directly with the testing platform, reading and writing the same XMl files.

Of course, I don't know what they've done with the system in the last 6 months. I got laid off in June (the company was more than 6 months late in shipping its flagship product) and have been "freelancing" (read: unemployed) since then.

At any rate, this testing application was strictly internal, but it was a very fun and interesting project. I really enjoyed working with XML. Especially with schemas and validation routines, etc.

It was

Benji Smith
Sunday, October 27, 2002

- Java builds.
- GUI exchange between two symbiotic programs.
- Anything where there might be transformations.  Too bad we probably don't use proper languages for this.
- Converting certain binary files to debuggable, readable format.

Tj
Monday, October 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home