Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Standalone XUL Application?

Anyone know if it is possible to create a standalone application based on XUL? I'd like to use Python or Java as the programming language and XUL as the UI, but I don't want to have to require users to have Mozilla 1.0 already installed.

So basically, I want to be able to create a packaged app using XUL for UI, without pre-requiring the user to have Mozilla. Possible?

Anymouse
Sunday, October 20, 2002

You'd need pretty much all of Mozilla to do it.  XUL is rendered so you'd need the browser component anyway, along with the NSPR, XPCOM, Javascript, the image libraries Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

The things you wouldn't need come down to functional modules like mail but I don't think anyone has actually mapped all of the interconnections and dependancies.  You'd be better off having two installs, one which was just your XUL application and the other including the Mozilla build you relied upon.

Simon P. Lucy
Sunday, October 20, 2002

It looks like these people http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?_x=1 just ship the version of Mozilla that they know works for their app. Which probably means the smallest XUL app is around 11 meg. (Better than the 22 meg .NET CLR runtime!)

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, October 20, 2002

See also http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/MRE.html , which is aimed at letting embedded apps "share" suitable versions of the rendering engine.

Chris Hoess
Sunday, October 20, 2002

It doesnt seem easy/trivial to pull the XUL components out of Mozilla and create a runtime that allows for standalone XUL apps, at least for now. I'll try to see if the people at ActiveState distribute the base 'runtime' for Komodo, but I doubt it.

What about wxWindows? Anyone used it? There seem to be interfaces to it for C++ (native, duh), Perl and Python. (www.wxwindows.org). I think there are some commercial products which use it also. Any opinions about it?

-M

Anymouse
Sunday, October 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home