Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Forte Agent

Forte Agent is a great newsreader. It supports multiuser and can read news from different news servers too. But in order to do that, you have to manually create a directory, copy the ini file and then create a shortcut for each directory. (according to their FAQ. )

I consider this poor usability.

S.C.
Friday, October 18, 2002

So?

Alberto
Friday, October 18, 2002

Thats another reason you should be using XNews!

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

olsson
Friday, October 18, 2002

When you get down to it, NONE of the NNTP clients is very good.

Evan
Saturday, October 19, 2002

The program has enough buttons and options already! What percentage of people actually need to connect to multiple news servers?

A.T.
Monday, October 21, 2002

Don't know about percentages, but I myself have to connect to 5 for general usenet adn technical support.

Brad Clarke
Monday, October 21, 2002

I needed a news reader, and downloaded the free to use early version. Since then I've paid my $29.00 and upgraded to the latest version. I consider it to be a good app, and has been fairly hassle free.

If your considering more than 1 server, have you considered asking if they would make an 'admins' edition? It may cost you a bit more, but they may have a version with multiple server capability as an in-house plaything.

Lawrence Attrill
Monday, October 21, 2002

There is no "admins" edition of Agent.  There is promised a 2.0 version (and even a 3.0!) that is expected to address the most common complaints, including working with multiple news servers.

RH
Monday, October 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home