Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

recession

This seems like a good place to ask talented programmers an important question:

"Are we in a recession?"

I've been out of regular work for months.  Fortunantly I've been squeaking by with occasional contract work (one-day jobs with old clients).  But this is not the environment I'm used to where my services used to be in demand.

It's enough to make me doubt my skills... but I actually think I have a pretty good resume... it's just that nobody seems to be hiring.

What do you all think?

Shawn Yarbrough
Monday, October 15, 2001

okay I can be shameless too:

http://www.nailstorm.com/~shawn/resume.html

Shawn Yarbrough
Monday, October 15, 2001

I think we are in recession. It has been so difficult to find new work either here in Switzerland or "back home" in the UK. I am a contractor and have just endured just over a month of unemployment. As you say it is extremely distressing to find yourself unwanted, go back six months or more and I couldn't have become unemployed if I tried.

What has struck me is what skills are being used. I have come off a contract where I was given training in server-side Java, and before that I had quite a bit of experience of C++. I tried getting work with those skill sets and nobody wanted to know me, my current contract is using some rather old mainframe skills that I have. Is this as a result of the bursting of the dot-com bubble ?

Jonathan Naylor
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

I don't know if it fits the official definition of "recession", but I do know that more of the talented programmers of my acquaintance are out of work than at any other time in the past 5 years or more. So whether this is a recession or not, it's a tough time for programmers.

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

after a couple of months looking for contract work, i started full-time at a company i contracted at last year.  the work's fun, but i'm making half the money i was as a contractor.

Christian Warden
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home