Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How much time do you spend on this forum?

On average, how much time do you spend on this forum or other similar ones each week? Just curious.

S.C.
Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Too much. ;-)

actually, I guess it would average about 1/2 hour per day, though it varies a lot day to day. Sometimes I just need to take a break, or I'll read through this forum while I'm eating lunch. Sometimes to wind down a bit before starting my lengthy commute home late at night. That's really when it becomes "too much" because my days and nights at work tend to be pretty long, and when I *am* able to get home, I really should be getting the hell up out of the lab and not sitting here reading through Joel's forum. Then it's "oh, I'll just take a quick look... 10 minutes", then in 10 minutes "oh, just another couple of minutes...", and poof - there went 30 minutes during which I really should have been driving home.

Depending on traffic, I spend anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours/day commuting. I listen to talk radio a lot; what would be cool would be to have a software engineering talk radio show (yeah, I know, I'm probably pretty demented, especially since I *do* have a life - wife, kid, dogs, etc.). And a software talk radio show would probably be a dismal commercial failure (wouldn't exactly be hitting the "mass market", would it?), but what the hell - might as well have something interesting to listen to while I'm sitting on my butt in traffic!

I like it because it's (predictably) almost entirely developers, and as a QA Manager, I get insights into what a chunk of the developer community thinks about things.

Until Joel sets up a radio show with all you guys calling in, looks like just have to keep reading it all here ;-)

(oops, sorry, two emoticons in one post. must be getting tired. need to leave and head home - damn! still on this friggin' forum!)

Cheers,

anonQAguy

About 2 hours

Tawfiq

I'd say it ranges from 0 to 2 hours, depending on workload.

Patrik
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

A considerable amount of time, but the new therapy is beginning to work.  I never knew honey and molasses could achieve a psychological effect...

Simon P. Lucy

I blip over here every day for a couple of minutes.  (Very) occasionally, I may post something, in which case I'm here maybe ten minutes.

Paul Brinkley

It doesn't take long to drop in and scan the new topic-titles to see whether anything grabs you.

On average it's been 1 to 2 hours/day, down from 2+ hours/day 5 years ago, but less recently.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, October 10, 2002

Depends on the workload, but I'd go for the 2 hours/day, too. I'm trying to cut down, as I'm starting to recognize the signs of addition :)

Suravye ninto manshima taishite ("Peace favor your sword")

Paulo Caetano
Friday, October 11, 2002

There's more than one sign for addition?

Yama Lama Ding Dong ("Signature phrases have no place in this forum")

P.S.  One to two hours per day.

Dunno Wair
Tuesday, October 15, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home