Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oracle Questions

I would like to please request an "Oracle Questions" board (or perhaps a "Database Questions" board).

Scot Martin
Tuesday, October 08, 2002

How about a php and MySql board?

pb

>I would like to please request an "Oracle Questions"
>board (or perhaps a "Database Questions" board).

I would like to see that too, but I think if you split stuff up into too many forums there is a risk that both the quality and traffic will decrease very rapidly.

I think, that one of the secrets of the quality of this discussion forum is that it handles diverse topics, and therefor people keep coming back and adding more stuff.

If the forum is split up into;

Oracle, .NET, PHP, OpenSource, Linux, Java, Delphi, C++ and Whatchamacallit, people might not check back because of the lower traffic in "their" specific area of interest this week, and the whole thing will possibly degenerate.

I might be wrong here, this was just a "gut-feeling" that came to me when giving it 30 secs of thought :-)

Patrik

Yes, I also fear the splintering of this group into many many many subgroups.  Now that I hear there is a separate Delphi board, my first thought is, "well, there is another topic I won't hear and learn about on JoelOnSoftware".  From a UI standpoint it sucks.  I don't want to surf 10 more different webpages when I'm doing my morning websurfing where one used to suffice. 

I really don't see the point of making subgroups, anyways.

Alyosha`

I'm speculating that, by default, JoS is the VisualBasic forum with an occasional C++ item thrown in.  At least when it comes to programming topics.

Hey, I'd love to find a good POSIX based log to read and write to.  Any suggestions?

nowhere man - not really myself lately

I dislike this forum split (except .NET)

Phil
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Hmm, interesting thoughts.

Phil: I'm curious as to why you are against the topic splits, but for the .NET topic split.  That seems inconsistent.

I think that, on the contrary, other topics are a sign of forum growth, and will generate additional growth (although growth isn't necessarily good, but it can be).  I think people will still check out the "primary" forum for the same reasons that brought them here in the first place.  But others, with more specific current interests, may be attracted who otherwise wouldn't be.

The multiple pages to surf is an important consideration, and it brings several thoughts to mind.  This is, after all, an experiment, and only time will tell (sorry for the cliche).

Scot Martin
Thursday, October 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home