Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Not all the news is bad

From WSJ.com:

"Dell Computer Corp. raised its estimate for fiscal third-quarter sales to a gain of 22%, and said profit would be at the upper end of its earlier forecast.

Dell now expects to report sales of $9.1 billion and profit of $545 million, or 21 cents a share, for the fiscal quarter ending Nov. 1. Wall Street expected revenue of $8.91 billion, up from $7.47 billion a year earlier, "

With strong sales like that, someone has to be buying software.  Pretty good news for MSFT watchers too (every silver cloud has a dark lining).

nowhere man - split personality
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Oh yeah?  Then why is Dell stock down over 50% from its high in March 2000?  Grrr... it makes me want to hunt down my broker. :)

Joe Paradise
Wednesday, October 02, 2002

> Oh yeah? Then why is Dell stock down over 50% from its
> high in March 2000?

Probably because it was 50% over-valued, then. They do call it "market correction".

> Grrr... it makes me want to hunt down my broker. :)

Do you really want to go all the way to some Caribbean island and disturb the man's retirement? <gdr>

Ok, I know it's a cliche, but I couldn't resist ;)

Suravye ninto manshima taishite ("Peace favor your sword")

Paulo Caetano

Dell is only down 50% ?  Now I wish I'd bought Dell instead of Sun.  Oh, well.

mackinac

Damn you're right about Sun.  And I thought my Cisco stock was bad!

FYI - the broker hunting safari leaves in two days.  This year it's BYOG (bring your own gun). :)

Joe Paradise

Back in late 1999, a friend of mine came into a small windfall of about fifteen thousand dollars (it was some kind of insurance settlement).  She wanted to invest all the money in the stock market.  I advised her to pay off all her (considerable) debts, first -- and then if anything is left, put the rest into index funds.

She put all the money into tech stocks, mostly Dell.

The moral of the story:  the world would be a better place if people just listened to my advice.  :-)

Alex Chernavsky

well, since we're talking about stocks, i bought Leap Wireless in march of this year...  <sigh>  from 10.50 -> 0.22 in a matter of months.  excuse me... i feel sick.

nathan

Here in Portugal, we have two expressions:
1. "Investir na Bolsa", which translates to "invest in stocks"
2. "Jogar na Bolsa", which transaltes to "bet in stocks", or "gamble in stocks".

#2 has always seemed more accurate to me.

We also have a funny thing, here: If person A makes $1,000 in gains from stocks and person B makes $1,000 from working, person B will pay a heavier tax. This is what I call incentive to work :)

Suravye ninto manshima taishite ("Peace favor your sword")

Paulo Caetano

The only good thing about the crash is that some of the 'rubbish' stock got taken out of the market. As soon as it returns to 8-15% returns as it has historically the better it will be for all of us. Part of this process is stock revaluation and its only just began. Not all the news is bad indeed, but it still is mostly bad.

Alberto

In the early nineties a buddy of mine was asked what tech companies he thought were good by some neighbor friends who had some money from their catering business to invest.  He basically said, "I don't know, maybe Dell?"  Unfortunately he didn't follow his own advice -- the neighbors are now millionaires (or at last I heard).

Of course you'd have stories like that even if stock prices were a random walk.

Jeff Morrisi

I wouldn't mind a billion+ profit this year....

Esto es alguna mierda loca!

Jack lives over there ->
Thursday, October 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home