Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dreamweaver MX

I've read good reviews for Dreamweaver MX ie from CNet, Webmonkey, amazon - but I'd like to read your opinion.

che guevara
Thursday, September 26, 2002

Supposedly MX offers significant improvements over previous releases - hopefully that means that MX doesn't modify your code when it for no obvious reason (and do things like break your links). Apparently it's a lot easier to create pages that comply with web standards and accessibilty regulations.

As far as WYSIWG tools web authouring tools go, it's the best, but then again WYSIWYG is probably not the best way to create web pages IMHO (WYSIWYG emphasises presentation over structure, and not the "onion" approach - designing structure then presenting that structure via CSS). Hopefully it still comes bundled with HomeSite - if so then you'll be in hand-coding heaven.

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, September 26, 2002

I am mainly a ColdFusion developer, so I have always used CFStudio.  As you probably know Macromedia are no longer releasing CFStudio, instead Dreamweaver MX is supposed to replace Studio.
I have used DWMX now for about 4 months, and I still long for my Studio days.  I am finding DWMX very slow to open, save files, minimise and maximise. 
I know that it has been designed to be the total IDE, where you can build CF pages, ASP, .Net, Java or whatever you want, but I think it is trying to do to much and spread itself to wide. Which makes half the features that is has usless to someone who only works with one language as I do. 
Now I am not saying you should have a new IDE for each language, but DWMX for me is to slow.

Stephen Adams
Friday, September 27, 2002

Stephen, why not continue using CF Studio then?  It would require a bit of mucking about manually adding stuff for MX, but it might be worth it.

I use CF as well, but we haven't upgraded to CFMX yet, so I don't know how much will have to be defined by hand in CF Studio.

Actually, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already addressed this issue on the forums at Macromedia's site.

Steve Barbour
Friday, September 27, 2002

If you miss CF Studio, install HomeSite.  It's on the Dreamweaver MX CD.  It IS CFStudio, just with a different name.

Myron Semack
Sunday, September 29, 2002

The latest version of Homesite is Homesite+

I still use Homestite 4.52 for Coldfusion development. I don't think I'm missing out on anything yet.

Joe Mahoney
Sunday, September 29, 2002

Steve, I have to use DWMX as I am working onsite for a client and they want to know what its like, but for my own personal use I still have Studio 4.5.  I just think it's a shame that Macromedia are not upgrading Studio any more, but as long as they keep Homesite then one day I'll have to move to over to that.

There's so much in DWMX that I don't think I'll ever use, like the Design view to create my pages. As someone who has always hand coded my HTML I can't stand WYSIWYG editors.

I have heard that you can use JEdit as a CF IDE and what I've seen JEdit looks a good editor.

Stephen Adams
Monday, September 30, 2002

Ouch.

Have you tried begging?

I understand.  I do occasionally pop out to a browser to see if what I just coded looks about right, but I don't care for WYSIWYG myself.

I will admit to using dream weaver and fireworks for the initial layout.  Generally speaking, that is usually just the beginnings of an actual project.  After I get the inital layout looking good, I save it as template and use that for the rest of the project.

Steve Barbour
Monday, September 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home