Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Appalachian appellation

As a young Spring Breaker I used to drive to FLA via 'Big Bone Lick' Kentucky through which runs 'Stinking Creek'.  Two names I'm not soon to forget.  Anyway, I was talking to a schoolmate about a trip (The day the Shuttle blew-up, hmmm) and It got me to wondering... Why 'Fog Creek'?  British Columbia?

Brad Siemens
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

Where I come from, a lot of places were named by the locals after events, or characteristics.

Ntabazinduna - Kings' mountain
Bulawayo - place of the killings.

The other source was colonialists naming places after royalty, or after places in 'the old country'

Victoria Falls
Salisbury

The problem with seeking origin of names is you end up hitting a dead end, if you take the question to its natural conclusion

Q. What is the origin of xyxyx
A. Well it comes from the French word asdafd
Q. Where does that come from
A. From the Latin words for xyxyx, which is oiupouu
Q. Where did that word word come from.
A. Well .... not sure

At the end of the day, the name/word probably arose/evolved because someone liked the sound of it.

tapiwa
Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Although I appreciate the reasoned and interesting response, I was attempting to solicit the reason for 'fog creek software' which I am relatively confident, someone knows the derivation of.

Ntabazinduna ~ Cool Name!

Because of the Interesting word usements I structure ~ sm

Brad Siemens

Look at FogCreek's phone number.

Norrick

I'm not gettin' it!

Do you mean they are in New York or that they matched the name to a phone number or both or neither?

Brad Siemens
Friday, September 27, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home