Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommended Books by Joel

Joel

Don't you think "An Introduction to Database Systems  by C.J. Date" could be part of your recommended list?

Just a thought.

Farid
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

I was thinking about this.  Joel's reading list is very practical.  He doesn't seem inclined towards 'heavy' theory books.

Joel, where do you see yourself in 10-15 years, post fog creek?

jack booted thug

Sorry to be picky, but it's C.E Date and man is that a classic I first read it in 1984.

Tony

My deepest and most humble apologies, you are most correct it is C.J Date, well...my only excuse is that I have'nt read it for 18 years.

Tony

And in other news today:

Microsoft Replaces SQL with Tutorial_D.NET

"You learn the coolest things from Joelsky's site!" says a cheery Gates.  "Book learnin' may not bring in the bucks, but our database products are just so theoretically complete now.  How's this for a great codename -- 'Coddname'?"

anon (but not forgotten)

Disjointed thoughts, sure.  I originally imagined Joel as the next Greenspun of UI.  But he seems much too practical for the academic life.

jack booted thug

Yeah, I found Date to be very enjoyable.

Also good is "Readings in Database Systems", sometimes referred to as "the Bible" among database people or "the Red book". It's a collection of the most important research papers in database systems (e.g., Codd's pioneering paper on relational databases).

It has its own website: http://redbook.cs.berkeley.edu/

I liked it, but it seems as if everyone around here hisses at any book which isn't some God-awful 800-page behemoth overflowing with CDs, published by WROX or SAMS or something ("Advanced J2EE EJB LMNOP" and whatnot). "Skills talk, degrees walk." Ugh.

-Warren

Warren Henning
Saturday, September 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home