Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Stopping pop up ads

I am trying to write a software to stop pop up ads.(i know there are ones available on the internet).

I know that I have to block all requests, other than the users.

can you point me to any reading material regd this. Google was throwing out links to such software not how it works.

Thanks,

Prakash S
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

well, you could write a proxy which is between a browser and the internet, intercepting all requests going to ad-servers. The user would have to specify this proxy in his browser settings. Furthermore your proxy must be able to get pages through any other proxy the user might want to use, kind of like a chain. Just some thoughts...

stephan

Be carefull in one point - once you start blocking pop-ups you may block some other dynamic contebt as well. And the Web-site stops working.
I'm using the "Agnitum Outpost Firewall" and it cuts almost all of dynamic content generated but I can't use it all the time because occasionally some sites don't work ..

Evgeny Goldin

Opera has an option to refuse pop-up ads.  Works great.

Just click on File | Quick Preferences | Refuse pop-up windows

You can turn it off if it is a pop-up that you actually want to see.

anonymous

I wrote one of those popup busting programs. Here are my pointers how to start it:
1. Get a wife who is bitching about popup windows :-)
2. Have lots of disposable time
3. Avoid asking how to do it.
4. Get your hand dirty
5. Set your goals high

Full name :-)

Mozilla (but not Netscape) blocks pop-ups. Why in the world would you write this yourself? As an exercise?

pb

I use Opera at work.  You can quickly turn on and off pop-ups and Flash with the F12 key.

At home I use Proxomitron http://proxomitron.org/
That is the best.  It's a local proxy server that filters out all kinds of stuff.  Again, it's easy to turn on and off.

Sorry I don't really know how they do it, but they serve as fine examples.  One key is to make it quick and easy to turn on and off.

William Frantz

If you are willing to make it work for IE only, look into Browser Helper Objects.

Joel Spolsky

Joel is right... and do not forget about the IE DOM

Wednesday, September 25, 2002

A friend of mine is now using Privoxy (runs on Windows) to get rid of ads and other impediments, and is very happy with it :
<a href="http://www.privoxy.org/">http://www.privoxy.org/</a>
HTH
Fred.

Frederic Faure

I just use the etc/hosts file at:
c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can "block" servers by redirecting it to your localhost, thus blocking add servers. For example:

127.0.0.1      localhost
127.0.0.1    x.mycity.com
127.0.0.1    adfarm.mediaplex.com
127.0.0.1    ad.uk.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1    ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1    adserver.trb.com
127.0.0.1    img.mediaplex.com
127.0.0.1    ads.guardian.co.uk
127.0.0.1    altfarm.mediaplex.com
127.0.0.1    global.msads.net
127.0.0.1    m.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1    adlog.com.com
127.0.0.1    servedby.advertising.com
127.0.0.1    us.a1.yimg.com
127.0.0.1    img.x10.com

Matthew Lock

About 95% of adverts and pop up windows on the internet are served by a small number of servers, so you should have no trouble blocking them all after a bit of surfing.

Matthew Lock

Guys,

The original question wasn't "how to stop popups", but how to write a popup killing software.

Thursday, September 26, 2002

I keep getting pop up ads from www.newtopsites.com these pop ups come when I am not surfing.  Adsubtract does not stop them.  Does anyone know how I can stop them?  Is there something on my PC I can delete to stop them?
Many thanks for any suggestions,
Fred

Fred Meek
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

This is how I did it. It worked for me.
Do a search in your registry for "parse.js.php", and delete all the keys and data associated with it!

Wesley van Rensburg
Thursday, May 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home