Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

software secrets exposed!?

hi there,

i meandered into this site

http://www.softwaresecretsexposed.com

and wondered what you think of it. worth shelling out any money at all. any of u guys have seen this book? own this book?

i was briefly in canada once and saw "infomercials" selling various courses - how to become big in the stock market for example and suspected its usefulness. is this in same category?

jag
Thursday, September 19, 2002

It's a blatant con. Steer clear.

Mr Jack

Its always a pleasure to read such a lovingly crafted piece of con.

Follow Barbara's blatent infomercial.  The shhhhh, this is a secret deal just for Barbara's friends speel is especially good.

http://www.surfnetkids.com/softwaresecrets.htm

Ged Byrne

It always amazes me that the people that come up with killer ideas on how to make whackloads of money always writes books about them.

Writing books has among the higest effort per dollar earned that I can think of.  Between a few dollars a copy selling books and realizing my killer idea that I came up with, making wheelbarrels full of money, I know what I would do.

When are people going to learn?

Patrik

Well, back to work.
Im off "to making software building magic happen."

:-)

Patrik

Meanwhile, I'll be working on my new video, "Software Gone Wild"...

Paul Brinkley

Time to pull out my baseball bats and get mediaeval on someone's .......

tapiwa

That site is pretty humourous. I think they fooled you though -- surely it is nothing more than a parody.

Scroll down a bit and you find things like:

"You'll learn how to hypnotize programmers into coding your application for free!"

"You'll learn how to create an application from start to finish regardless of complexity in only 7 days!"

Anyone shelling out the bucks after reading that gets what he paid for -- a fine piece of parody.

Ed the Millwright

I love the "give me $5 and I'll tell you how to make money" business model.

The funny thing is that maybe it did motivate some people to make money by telling them simplified things in ez-2-read format...  Wait a sec, isn't that what Joel on Software is about?

;-P

Sammy (runs)

Sammy, you haven't sent me your five dollars. No Joel on Software for you. Come back when you've paid...

Joel Spolsky

Only $5?  Great, I thought we were all supposed to buy ShittyDesk or something!

Sammy

I'm sorry, my tongue gets me in playful trouble with people I know closely.  I think the illusion of public blogs is that you somehow know the person behind the blog, and for some reason they should take your sarcasm in stride.  Argh, maybe I should get some sleep finally this week.

Sammy

I love that whole 'Get Rich Quick' thing.

My favourite is the one where you put an advertisment in the local paper that says - "If you send me fifty bucks, I'll tell you how to make a thousand dollars in a week!!" . When the cash rolls in, you send them a piece of paper that says :

"Put an advertisment in the local paper that says - 'If you send me fifty bucks, I'll tell you how to make a thousand dollars in a week!!' "

On some level I think it's a bit sad that you can get prosecuted for fraud. If you can talk someone out of their money, surely you're actually doing the world a service?

Maybe people who gave away all their money would be less likely to leave ancestors...

Gordon Taylor

Pretty clearly a joke -

"How I Made $42,113 in 5 Months Using the Secrets [...]"

Hmm, sounds like contract work at $50/hr.

"It doesn't take a genius — you simply have to know the keys for plucking killer ideas out of nowhere."

Steve Kradel
Friday, September 20, 2002

Gordon : "Maybe people who gave away all their money would be less likely to leave ancestors..."

uh... you mean "descendants" I presume?

anonQAguy

People who give away all their money ARE less likely to leave their ancestors. They are probably still living in their parents' house.  :-)

Zwarm Monkey

Wow, that was entertaining. My favorite quote was from the FAQ:

"I can't promise that you're going to make a million dollars if you buy "Software Secrets—Exposed!™". Boy, I hope you can — but the reality is — success takes time, luck, tenacity and most importantly — passion. (Fortunately, we cover these early in the guide.)"

Good to know they cover that in the guide!

ns

I loved the site's obviously-ripped-off-from-Userland templates (In Mozilla/Netscape, view page info for the Software Secrets Exposed!(TM) site and then for, say, http://www.userland.com, or http://www.scripting.com ., You'll see that both pages have seemingly identical images (the shadows, the corners) with identical names for most of them.). How do you get the "Killer Website" promised in the book that has the "goods to give you the unfair advantage over your competition"? Steal its look from someone else!

"I'll divulge my techniques for building your software on paper before a line of code is written — and you'll discover how this simple process will save you thousands of dollars every single time you use it!" Wow. Writing specs ( http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000036.html ) could save you money. I had no idea.

"Don't have a merchant account to accept credit cards? No problem. You'll get the ultimate zero-cost source." I can just imagine: 'That's right, sir, stuff the dollar bill directly into your floppy drive...'. What's also strange is that this guy doesn't use this zero-cost merchant account himself ( http://www.clickbank.com/options.html )

"You've seen it — software that just plain sucks. It sucks because someone forgot to use a time-tested proven system for designing their software. They get lazy and guess what? You pay for it." Using this patented blueprint system allows for 50% less suckitude - guaranteed! There's no way software development could be that easy.

And what the heck is "It is a system that will work for anyone that is serious about making money, not just dreaming about it. (If you're a dreamer, don't order my system — we'll both end up being disappointed.)" supposed to mean? If it doesn't work, it's becasue I'm only dreaming about money and it's therefore my fault? Who would buy this book if they were serious about making money?

I also find it a little strange that most of the "comments by people that have the course in their library today" seem to be by people whose websites seem to use similar marketing techniques (as a 'letter' written to the reader, using first person) and that many seem to be sites that also sell books and so forth on techiniques to make money. Sounds exactly like the $50 scam that Gordon Taylor is talking about.

Daniel Axelrod
Saturday, September 21, 2002

Oops! yeah - Descendants, not Ancestors.
(I never know if I'm coming or going...) 

Gordon Taylor
Sunday, September 22, 2002

If I purchase a 50 pack of "software gone wild" will you throw in the free "candid software" and "software upskirts" also? I'm a software pervert! I hide in the basement and *gasp* create applications..shhhh

btw, I also need help with my Nigerian Bank account if anyone would like to volunteer.

trollbooth
Monday, September 23, 2002

"softwareexposed" clearly means too much to the authorities in Saudi. The URL is actually banned.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

I'll never make a programmer! Just keep making those typos. The reason is clear enough why the Saudis have banned the site.

softwaresecretSEXposed

At least you know what these guys have go on their mind!

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

Hi

Has anyone *read* the above book?

Re the sales letter, this is a proven direct
response format used in a variety of media.

The warranty period is not very clear, but
looking at the clickbank site it should be
fairly easy to get the money back

mjreddy
Monday, December 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home