Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Guess the next CityDesk release date

Many of you have read Joel's articles about bugs, release schedules, marketing, testing, and working on CityDesk.  The CityDesk forum contains tantalizing hints.  But the official word is, "We won't promise dates or features."  If you put Joel's articles together with the hints, you might make an educated guess. Or, maybe not.

I predict November 15, 2002, just in time for the holiday shopping season.  (I hope you have better rationale than I do.)

tk
Friday, September 13, 2002

I will use the 'Price-is-right' rationale and say November 16, 2002.

CharlesC
Friday, September 13, 2002

"November 17, 2002, Bob."

Zwarm Monkey
Saturday, September 14, 2002

$1

apw
Sunday, September 15, 2002

If Joel does "the Joel test" then he will be able to:

1. Tell us all 3 months in advance which features are in the next update . . .

and

2. Predict the release date be defining time/feature to within 10 minutes.

So why all the smokescreen? Communication, not cash, is king.

Just Me
Monday, September 16, 2002

Qoute from http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/PickingShipDate.html :
" Let me tell you a little secret: our strategy for CityDesk is to avoid massive PR until 2.0 is out. That's the version that we want everybody on earth to get their first impressions from. "

I think the difficulties of getting to a good 2.0 version are larger than expected (especially the migration from DHTML to a new HTML component). I've read "not stable for release" a couple of times in the CD forum.

So my guess: will be shipped when it doesn't crash anymore. Hey: that looks like a game-schedule, we'll ship when ready; only Fogcreek never brags about it!

I just hope TK's guess is right....

Adriaan van den Brand

Fog might be able to tell us a feature set 3 months in advance, but I don't think they should or will (except under a signed-in-blood non-disclusure).

Per the HTML editor and the following item about scripting: They were probably thinking very hard about 2.0 features long before they released 1.0.

Here is another clue:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3533&ixReplies=7

"Much as I hate to talk about unimplemented features :/

We're thinking of using JavaScript, not VBScript, for two reasons:

* same language as most people use for client-side scripts
* there are at least two free implementations I know of, so we can choose the less-buggy one at any given time."

tk

I would like joel to motivate the scripting switch in an article. I am doing 3rd party dev for Powerdesigner and their scripting language to my disappointment is vbscript. However i found that to work with COM vbscript is the safest - try doing asp in Jscript....

I prefer Jscript for the (unexploited) prototype and first class functions. MS has now taken control of JS and i fear the esoteric features will be dropped for a more class based CLR friendly animal.

see http://w3future.com/html/beyondJS/

it will freak you out at the unexplored power of js

Karel
Tuesday, September 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home