Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HELP

I'm conducting an online poll. It'll take less than 10 seconds to complete. Although it doesn't have anything to do with software, the Web, Joel, etc., per se (unless you'd like to discuss the coding) I need "technically inclined" people to answer.

http://www.poochkiss.com/robots/default.asp

Thanks for your help.

Yoav
Thursday, September 12, 2002

What a bizarre survey. What exactly are you trying to measure?

-Mark

Mark Bessey

Could you please report back on whatever conclusions you draw?

Darren Collins

The "Silicon Graphics"-blue robot rules ;-)

Patrik

We're trying to determine why the green robot isn't selling as well as the purple one.

Up to about 5 years ago, the green one was selling well, but then fell by the wayside. It's also more advanced than the purple one. We think it might have to do with its old look; green and boxey as compared to purple and round.

The poll was purpusely left short so that people would see it would only take a few seconds to complete.

Yoav
Friday, September 13, 2002

The purple one looks more advanced. It is holding a smaller object (cube), and looks like it has a 4-fingered hand vs. a 2 finger hand on the green one.

It also looks more modern.

In addition, the purple one, due to the pile of remaining objects on the ground, looks like it is actually working, whereas the green one has done all of the work that it can do.

Evan

I liked the purple one for it's look alone. Given the fact that i couldn't see the specs there's not much to make a decision on. The green one reminds me of old scientific equipment for some reason (maybe that shade of green?).

trollbooth

Yoav,

You are doing something impressive and novel with this robot sales talk.

Just offer the green robot with a package of transluscent plastic snap-on panels in designer (ie: iMac) colors and sales will pick up. It looks more sturdy than the purple one anyway, the joint on the purple one looks flimsy.

X. J. Scott

Because the only information you are offering to the tests is the look of the robot, the only answers you will get back will be based on the look of the robot. So the reason will be the look of the robot.

David Clayworth

>> "You are doing something impressive and novel with this robot sales talk."

Thanks.

>> "Because the only information you are offering to the tests is the look of the robot, the only answers you will get back will be based on the look of the robot. So the reason will be the look of the robot."

I agree. But my colleague and I felt it was more important to concentrate on one question -- and thus, keep the poll very short -- than to do a more in-depth, and appropriate study.

By the way, I should mention that we are conducting this poll on our own time and money (literally, as it's hosted on my personal site) -- which we will bring to our company in the near future. This all started as a hypothesis....

Again, thank you for your responses and help.

Yoav

I think it would be interesting to do another poll that is a little more extensive and does not focus merely on the look of the device.  For instance, maybe you could describe the features.  Then ask people which one they would prefer.  Contrast this with the results you got in this poll.

Of course, one could predict what would happen, but it is nice to have "proof."

Lydia

FYI: Over the past week we received about 260 responses. About 180 of those were in favor of the purple robot while 60 were in favor of the green.

1. Many people who favored the purple one did so because of its more striking color and/or its rounded edges.

2. Many people who favored the green one thought it to be more serious looking and/or hated the color purple (as opposed to liking the color green).

Thanks again for your help.

PS. According to the specs the green one is more advanced than the purple one.

Yoav
Thursday, September 19, 2002

You know, that green is exceptionally beautiful.  I had to vote for the purple because it simply looked better, but the green was mesmerizing.  Saved the image to my machine.

Sammy

I can't believe a full sixty people got the answer wrong.

: P

Dunno Wair

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home