Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Platform and application at the same time

Great essay on platforms. I've just translated it to Dutch, so I had a little time to think about it.

Groove seems to have a problem being a platform and an application at the same time. I know, however, of a situation in which this works out fine. In embedded software (where I'm working) platforms are customary for implementing product lines. So a range of products with similar functionality (e.g. DVD players of one vendor can have about 90% of functionality in common), so it makes sense to have a platform internally, while selling applications based on it.

The other one is using a platform for an OEM market. This might also be an opportunity for Groove (as mentioned in Ozzies reply : http://www.ozzie.net/blog/stories/2002/09/03/toJoelOnPlatforms.html ). It is possible to make money of both the platform (by selling an OEM kit) and end user applications. I do agree with Joel, however, that a free redistributable will aide massive embracement,  especially in the era of Open Source / GNU. No GNU developer will pay for an OEM kit.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, September 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home