Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Groove Lite?

Joel, it seems you are interested in possibly only a subset of the Groove "platform".  Perhaps rather than suggest Groove release "free" runtimes or whatever, maybe you should be looking for a "free" or much cheaper licensable verion, perhaps Groove "Lite"?  Groove has many features that corporations are willing to pay for and demand in a product.  But smaller businesses, open-source projects, and hobbyists don't need all those features.  If a Groove Lite were to be developed, what features would you be willing to sacrifice in order to get it either free, or say at a $10 per copy charge?

For developers it would be a good way to get introduced to the Groove platform and take advantage of the important new technologies in it, and for Groove it would be a great way to increase the base of Groove-knowledgable developers they can up-sell to.  This type of thing is already happening with various application servers (I'm thinking J2EE here) where the base version is free, but the "pro" and/or "enterprise" editions cost a pretty penny.  Sounds reasonable to me.

Gerry Giese
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

How is Groove going to respond to .NET?  Groove seems pretty strongly aligned with DCOM and now that all seems to be headed into the dustbin of technology history where it will reside along-side the 8-track tape.

Jim G.
Monday, September 09, 2002

You should really check this out – not only is it interesting technically, but it also really reveals the power of Groove. You have to jump through a few hoops to get the webbcast viewer installed, but it is worth it. I think it will seem very different from what they taught you in Groove school earlier this month.

http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/999.asp

Nick Katsivelos
Thursday, September 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home