Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Does my website suck?  A bit off-topic.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's off-topic or not, but I know this board attracts lots of smart techies.  Maybe some of you could take a look at my beta-release website and tell me what you think:

http://www.johnson95.com/

I'm not a programmer.  Here's your chance to tell an MBA that he's an idiot (dumb MBAs were responsible for the downfall of the New Economy, right?)

Alex Chernavsky
Wednesday, December 05, 2001

It looks OK to me. Design wise it is miles better than my site, and I am a programmer. The skills needed to create a nice website are different from the ability to program, so you have nothing to worry about.

Jonathan Naylor

I think its lacking in consistancy: the homepage looks nice and clean, nothing two fancy, but when you click on one of the links your treated to an entirely different layout, with different navigation, and even a different logo (the thing in red).  I would try to make the sub pages look a little more similar to the homepage, as I had to do a double take to make sure I was still on the correct site.  Hope this helps!

Vincent Marquez

The fround page is excellent.  Clean and consistant.

I especially like the concentric circle motif.

However, the 2nd level pages do not reach the same standard.

The circle motif, navigation method and logo have all changed.

The futuristic font for 'Back' clashes badly with the classical script used for the title.

Only the student page has a back link at the top of the page.

Where the horizontal and vertical rules overlap there is a white outline.  Was this intentional?

The 'Home > Second level' style of navigation suites large hierarchal sites, but not a small site like this.  I think it would be better to be able to navigate between 2nd level pages without returning home.

It looks to me like the layout of the secondary pages mimics layout of a book.  Is this the case?

Ged Byrne
Thursday, December 06, 2001

The first page is very pleasing, and the circle design is very nice!  The secondary pages don't match either shape, color, or tone, so that is a little jarring.  Continuity of either shape or color (both, preferrably) would help people feel like they are in a familiar place.

Keep in mind that people may visit your site by searching for it in a search engine and could come in via a sub-page.  You may want to consider changing the "Back" link (at the bottom of each page) to a text menu that shows all of the links (Home, Students, News, Nostalgia, About).  Some users might associate "back" with the last place they had visited, rather than with your home page, so change other occurances, as well.  Text links for all main pages would also avoid a user having to go back to the home page in order to navigate to another part of the site.

If you decide to do something new with your overall look on the secondary pages, I would also lose the purple bar on the right hand side - it really constrains the page.  Consider using percents instead of fixed tables for the areas of text on these pages.  You can make it an 85% table so you have a bit of a margin, but that allows it to be viewed on smaller monitors without the right-left scrolling.

Finally, since you give your name on the site, you may want to provide an e-mail link for contact purposes.  It's possible some visitors may not be aware that you are also the webmaster (even though you say this on the "About" page).

Overall, a great site that I'm sure your classmates will enjoy!

Sandra
Thursday, December 06, 2001

yes it does it sucks  the nut but joel brandt sucks more

Michael Wagner
Thursday, October 30, 2003

i agree with mike wagner jeol brandt does suck the nut and this website it sucks also:)

Matt Gibson

Joel*

Matt Gibson

Whoever made this website sucks too shut this website down its messed up

Matt Gibson

trevor litwin sucks the nut

trevor Litiwin suck even more than joel bradnt

big new joel brandt officially doesn't suck

Michael Wagner
Thursday, December 11, 2003

I think this is a wonderful website. My compliments to you.

Joel Brandt
Friday, December 19, 2003

michael wagner sucks the nut with trevor litwin michael wagner is gay with gary tilack

michael wagners mom

Michael wagner looks like harry potter and he likes gary.t anything he wrights in this is a dams lie because he likes men

HARRY POTTER

i spelt write wrong

HARRY POTTER

aarons just making up for the fact that he has no dick and no guys like him despite how gay he really is aaron no matter what you say about winipeg I'm convinced that you are a homo

Michael Wagner

aaron has no freinds

Michael Wagner

thats why you go to garys house all the time and you must like the smell of garys house you stupid fagget michael
p.s my dick is bigger than your mm peter

HARRY POTTER

aaron likes to talk about gay things and dicks for reasons unknown (he's gay)

Michael Wagner

and he's a slow typer

Michael Wagner

Michael, if you have a dick, you suck it

Freddy

michael likes men the one he likes the most is gary......... i just found out that you like cory too man find some new damn shit you stupid loner.... we know you have fantasys about joel.b and you also like nina because she is the closest one to a guy oh yah gary is gay too lucky you

HARRY POTTER

Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!! Michael has no dick!!!!

Freddy

go freddy

HARRY POTTER

michael is a fag michae is a fag michael is a fag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he says i have no friends (it's just because he's a vergin)

HARRY POTTER

aaron you have no freinds the only people you hang out with are kids on your street that are half your age and you never shut up about your old freinds in winnipeg and how fucking ganster you used to be in your baby blue jump suits thats a girls color mr.I think coke and crack are different the only difference is what I say is plausible and I don't take an hour to write something mean you are a homo and you go on a random forum to insult people and then laugh it up with cody your only freinds in this whole school you suck

Michael Wagner

aaron you should refer to the word "gay bashing" you mix up traits from two genders and you probably love to take it up the ass from your imaginary friends cole and the other little fags in winnipeg i hope u leive abbotsford and crall in a hole and die.

P.S fuck you

gary

I thought we had a truce ... your the meanest freind I have you don't insult your freinds moron

Michael Wagner

If anybody sucks dick, it's Michael Wagner.  I have proof, he never hangs out with girls and goes to a guys house every day. you suck dick MICHAEL WAGNER

FREDDY

okay lets see my friends........ cody, cory, ashley, chad, jordan, curtis, kurt, steven, i'm still not done

HARRY POTTER

brent, cole, michael.m, a different cody, bobby, william, sara, shayla, kayla, stephanie (in winnipeg), glen, jeremy, teagan, tyler, tayler, kurtis (in winnipeg), richard, samantha, jordan (in winnipeg)i still have lots i just have to go right now.

HARRY POTTER

cody hates you cory hates you same with ashley curtis thinks your anoying kurt is half your age and basically all those "freinds" of yours are guys and all that winnipeg stuff is bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Wagner
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home