Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Software ecosystems

What I liked about Joel's attack on Groove was the response it got.  I don't know if Ray Ozzie said much new; basically he said that the platform creator had to be rational.  But you rarely see that kind of honesty.  And for me, the attack gave Groove some real credibility.  When I tried it out, I thought it was just some POS tech that Dave Winer preached as the second coming of the Messiah.

The whole exchange shows the use of Free Shit in attacking new markets.  It needs some goal, or it's just a pyhrric victory and you become Macromedia.  Groove doesn't need to give away for free, since it already has the visibility of huge MSFT investment and Ray Ozzie's name.  An unnecessary attack.  But maybe if Groove started attacking another market, they'll use Free Shit combined with extending their own software, like some creeping game of Go.

BTW, the whole thing about software ecosystems was the first time I've ever heard that term used intelligently, and not to justify its own monopoly.

Joel, please insult more smart people.  I hear Macromedia's run by impotent, closet pedophiles.

Richard Jenkins
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

Yeah, I agree - I think that Joel's picking on Groove yanked at the supply cord that keeps the groove astronauts in orbit.

Taking the software ecosystem model to a ridiculous end, check out this ariticle on the selfish class, presumably about the entities that evolve and exist in a 'software ecosytem:

http://www.laputan.org/selfish/selfish.html 

Gordon Taylor
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home