Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Napster

Just to set the record straight: As far as I know from news releases, announcements, etc., the new version of Napster was finished way back at least half a year ago. Theay even did a beta-program, where beta users could use it, etc.
Apparently they had far more problems on the legal site than anywhere else.
Changes in the new version were that they couldn't distribute .mp3 files anymore but .nap files which were (my memory is a bit foggy here) then to be converted into mp3s that could only be run on the device they were downloaded to.
Development concentrated far more on implementing routines to detect .mp3s violating some legal rights, making that .nap format work, etc., all features that Shawn Fanning didn't have in his release. So, Joel, you assume the wrong movie here.
But I think that the idea of switching over to these file-formats that can only be played on one machine, especially not copied so you can play it on your car stereo, etc. killed the project before they evenstarted coding. I'm still waiting for a music-download offer I would pay money for....

itstilldoesntmatter
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

Joseph Weizenbaum wrote Eliza in 1965. We are still waiting for general Artificial Intelligence to be delivered. How can an entire industry spend 37 years on v2 of something that took one guy a week to write v1?

Just me (Sir to you)

Just Me, as I'm sure you're well aware, Eliza wasn't a "v1 Artificial Intelligence".

Adrian Gilby

Oh. That was your point. Sorry.

Adrian Gilby
Thursday, September 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home