Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Weblog Tools

There are a few softwares which are similar to CityDesk, like Movable Type, Grey Matter.

Does anybody here have experience with these software and which one do you like most?

S.C.
Thursday, August 29, 2002

The primary difference between most of those tools and CityDesk is that they require the ability to install software on the server. The browser-based nature of tools like that mean that you can only edit/post articles while you're online, which is not very practical for people at the lower end of the market on dial-up connections.

This is the single biggest reason I use CityDesk.

Darren Collins

Doesn't it also have to do with the different features server-based apps offer vs. desktop applications offer?  The weblog tools come with most of the code written for you, are aimed at mostly weblog management, allow you to edit wherever there is an Internet connection.

CityDesk, for me,  is simpler and better for general content management of a small website with better editing tools (no big textarea field). If you are managing a website, CityDesk seems better, while those Weblog tools are for people who constantly come up with thoughts and want to edit it from London and then LA the next day and may not have access to a PC or laptop all the time.

PostNuke seems closer to CityDesk than MovableType and the others.  It is meant for content management.  Although it is similar to PHP-Nuke, from the stuff I read, they are taking PostNuke down a better road, improving the templating system, improving documentation, and other features, but it will take some time.  You can read more about the PostNuke interview:  http://www.keithdevens.com/weblog/?id2338

Though PostNuke will still be better for more technical users.  How many people outside the computer field want to deal with CHMOD or uploading all those files?  CityDesk will still be better as content management for the "rest of us."  It hides a lot of the complexity, and maybe you can download modules/plug-ins for CityDesk in the future like you can do with PostNuke. 

Also, look into pMachine.  The bad thing about it is it still costs $45 for a non-commercial license.  But there is a free version.  Another version for commercial uses ($125).

Some people are using it as a content management system, not just for weblogs.  You can find links to how people are using it on www.pmachine.com
Plenty of good and innovative examples.

Diego

Greymatter is by a long way the best 'script' I have ever used.

It has a very simple and extremely powerful templating system, and the documentation is second to none.

Read the docs and you can easily build a site, with comments and voting on articles, and make it look any which way you want, plus you don't even require a database backend.... just the ability to run cgi-scripts.

There were issues (about a year ago) regading its ability to categorise information, and I am not sure whether these have been addressed or not.

tapiwa
Friday, August 30, 2002

PowerBlog is a new tool coming out...should be killer:

http://www.powerblog.net

Richard Caetano
Friday, August 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home