Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What would you?

What would you do, if you had just finished very long, stressful yet successful software project? any getaway suggestions for a few days?

Biking? camping? hiking? what?

dead tired developer
Thursday, August 29, 2002

What state are you in?  Or what country for that matter?

vern

British Columbia, Canada

dead tired developer

go fishing for salmon!  well, at least that's what I'd do if I were in your position ..

Michael H. Pryor

Get on a motorbike and ride up to the artic circle.

Alberto

I would code my own project, but thats just me, I like punishment ;)

James Ladd

Tired,

Don't neglect your own neighborhood.  Explore Vancouver, don't miss "Death By Chocolate", at 1001 Denman Street at Nelson.  Yum!

Most developers here in the San Francisco Bay Area leave for vacations, and miss out on the local attractions (excellent climbing, hiking, biking, wind surfing, theatre, people-watching and eating all close by.)

Don't forget that you could start a project (new bookshelf?  Paint something? Rigid Body Physics Simulator?) or read a good book, too.

David Blume

I would have a very very difficult time deciding between diving the Red Sea, the Maldives or the Great Barrier Reef for 4, 5 or 6 weeks. And actually that's exactly my problem right now ;)

Jan Derk

Jan,

Have you already done Papua New Guinea then? Or is that no longer the secret spot...

Ed the Millwright

Grab your loved one(s) if you have them and do something you've never done before.  Make sure to leave the house at least overnight if you can.

Try to avoid the sucky vacation effect.  My perfect vacations are less than 4 days or more that 7 days.  I have problems with my vacation-attitude-turn-around on days 4 - 7.  Your results may vary.

Give yourself at least one full day at home before you go back to work.

tk
Friday, August 30, 2002

Go climb the Chief! Go climb the Chief! YAY!

Jack lives over there ->
Friday, August 30, 2002

Long stressful software project sounds like you haven't met your friends for a while. Go and meet them. But before you meet them, do something else too or you'll bore your friends to death by talking about the project for the whole evening.

Been there!

Jarno Virtanen
Friday, August 30, 2002

Go to Las Vegas and meet the chicks....

Mike S.
Friday, August 30, 2002

throw a party and invite us all :)

tapiwa
Friday, August 30, 2002

You can handle a long difficult project but can't decide what to do for relaxation?

Write a progam to figure out where to go. Better yet ...just get a life.

There's all sorts of places to go and things to do. Just do something and forget programming for a while.

PaleRider
Friday, August 30, 2002

http://www.mtb.bc.ca/trails/

Sven Galli
Friday, August 30, 2002

I would go fishing for a week straight, doesn't really matter where as long as I'm alone in the wilderness taking some time to think and relax without lifes distractions.

Ian Stallings
Friday, August 30, 2002

It's got to be sailing, out of sight of land.  No distractions, a good connection with nature, enough to do to keep occupied and purposed, but plenty of time to just relax, contemplate, and meditate.

Matt
Friday, August 30, 2002

Gotta be skiing for me. Not too seasonal at the moment unless you are in the southern hemisphere, but you just can't beat them for the sheer fun.

Richard
Friday, August 30, 2002

If the weather's good enough (and sometimes even when it's not), a three-to-four day canoeing/camping trip is what works for me.  Something where you get at least two full days of not worrying about what time you have to get back.

van pelt
Friday, August 30, 2002

Why not go on one of those Geek Cruises to Alaska? Seems pretty cool.

Patrick Ansari
Friday, August 30, 2002

Well, I'd suggest Pennsic War, but it just ended two weeks ago. Somehow, I doubt if you want to put off your little relaxation break until next August.

(Pennsic War is a two-week long SCA event held in western Pennsylvania every August. Two weeks of life in the Current Middle Ages--complete with camping, classes, fighting, dancing, and of course booze--will cure just about any computer-related problem.)

Martha
Friday, August 30, 2002

I'm surprised you haven't been assigned to a new project already.  One one project, the overzealous new manager (who wanted to impress every bigwig in the firm), had 1/2 the development team reassigned to other projects a few weeks before the original one even went live. 

Bella
Friday, August 30, 2002

First, send the manager on a cruise to.....um..... <YourLeastFavoriteCruisablePlace/> and then go to Kauai and veg.

Dan Sickles
Friday, August 30, 2002

Visit the South-West US.

I did this last year; the scenery is amazing, the people are cool and friendly, it's cheap (depending on Canadian dollar exchange rate), and requires very little planning.  I just picked up a book about the SouthWest region, picked a few national parks and away I went.

One of the coolest and most enjoyable things I've ever done.

nojuan
Monday, September 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home