Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Strategy Letter V Rants

Okay, yes, yes, yes, microeconomics are such an impregnable certainty of logic, isn't it?

I can smash this article in three words:

"The Civil War"

The south, in the very act of perparing for war to protect their "way of life" (including slave ownership, plantations, non-centralized lifestyle, etc.), had to utterly destroy it to win the war, (become an industrialized region like the North) which losing the war accomplished anyway. So it was a lose-lose situation for the South. Yet they had people signing up to go fight the Union right up until the end!

Here are three more smashing words: "War On Terrorism"

The US, in the very act of perparing for war with dangerous box-cutter-wielding suicide commandos, spends itself into oblivion manufaturing $billions upon $billions in new weaponry, to protect their "way of life" (including driving large SUVs that eat tons of gas -- funding terrorist enemies at the pump!, having the libery to discuss how Dubbya would probably fail an interview in the private sector as a parking lot attendant and not fear imprisonment, not have their phones tapped, not have the cable guy rat to the FBI that they have Pakistani friends who like to talk about the Koran to non-muslims), they destroy that very way of life in the process of "protecting" it.

In other words, the world, <i>not even the financial world</i>, doesn't even function based on the rules in Microeconomics.

Nick Bauman
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

If you're saying that irrational entities can survive in this world -- welcome to Earth!

Richard Jenkins
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

War plays by an entirely different set of rules, it is true.

For example, the battle between Sun and Microsoft is war.  As Joel points out, Sun are destroying their own niche in order to undermine their enemy at  Redmond.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

1) "I can smash this article in three words:"

I got two words: "What article!"

2) "The south, in the very act of perparing for war..."

What's "perparing"? do you mean "preparing"?
Microsoft has spent a lot of money creating word processors capable of spell checking etc. You might want to try one! (You've got several spelling errors).

Joachim Hartmann
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Well, at least in Texas they perpare fer thangs.  Doesn't limit the 'ffectiveness of his point none.

Nat Ersoz
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Ah, yes.  And when I throw a ball into the air, it disproves the laws of gravity.

Contrary Mary
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

>Okay, yes, yes, yes, microeconomics are such an
> impregnable certainty of logic, isn't it?

Well, either I have no idea what "microeconomics" is, or this is the best joke I've ever heard - or at least, one of the best.

> they destroy that very way of life in the process
> of "protecting" it.

The "Western Way of Life", as specified, is actually quite nice. Unfortunately, our implementation of it is nothing worth protecting, or even fighting for.

> In other words, the world, <i>not even the financial
> world</i>, doesn't even function based on the rules in
> Microeconomics.

The financial world functions based on rumors and scams. Everything else is a smoke screen.

Paulo Caetano
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

*Eyes wide, DW backs out of the thread, careful not to make any sudden movements.*

Dunno Wair
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

> *Eyes wide, DW backs out of the thread, careful not to
> make any sudden movements.*

Fe-fi-fo-fum... I smell... Like Teen Spirit?

Out of inspiration. Sorry :)

Paulo Caetano
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Economics is a social science which does the best it can to understand human behavior.  Humans don't follow economic laws, economics laws follow humuns.

tk
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Whatever a "humun" is.

tk
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

The singular of "humus," maybe?

Steve Wheeler
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

> Economics is a social science which does the best it can
> to understand human behavior. Humans don't follow
> economic laws, economics laws follow humuns.

Absolutely right. Unlike someone said once, money is not the root of all evil. We are the root of all evil.

Which makes it a rather complicated matter to set right, as it's somewhat counterproductive to present a plan for a better planet along these lines:
1. This document presents a plan for a better planet.
2. The goal set by this plan is to improve the living standards on the planet Earth.
3. We propose to do so by eliminatnig the root of all serious problems on the aforementioned planet.
4. We have identified the root of all serious problems as the human race.
5. We therefore must elimin... er... We mean... What do we mean, exactly?

Apparently, a much better plan was found:
1. This document presents a plan for a better planet.
2. We hope to find one real soon, because we're overdue for an eviction order from this one, where we've decided to stage our squatting.

:)

-----
Suravye ninto manshima taishite ("Peace favor your sword")
Paulo Caetano

Paulo Caetano
Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Maikrosoft spel chekar vor seil!!!
Worgs grate

Seemore

Anyone read "Butterfly Economics" yet?
http://tinyurl.com/177s

MadMan

Paulo - I'm sure people have said it, but the actual quote is "The love of money is the root of all evil"

Thursday, August 29, 2002

My mistake, then.

That does describe the "problem" more accurately.

BTW, do you know who said it?

-----
Suravye ninto manshima taishite ("Peace favor your sword")
Paulo Caetano

Paulo Caetano

Timothy, 6:10

When considering Linux, what's being comme...., err..., how do you spell that again? Well, anyways, it's the server OS market. If I was IBM, I could see an advantage to someone using a free server OS (Linux) and a free RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL), then having more money for hardware.

However, I think Oracle has realised this as well, and has made it's move with Red Hat, which explains why Red Hat is doing nothing to fund or aid the Postgres replication project.

But oh well,
BDKR

BDKR
Saturday, September 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home