Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MP3 Player

Help!
Who out there has an MP3 player and is it good or bad?  I don't one one of those players that plays mp3 cds.  The few that I see so far that are catching my eye are:
IPod (I know all about the windows software stuff)
Creative Nomad
SonicBlue Rio

All of the reviews I look at are not helping.  Anyone here use one and like or dislike it?

Thanks

Matt Watson
Monday, August 26, 2002

I think it's generally agreed that the iPod is the best MP3 player out right now. There are plenty of sites that will compare them. Try C|Net.

Dr. Awesome
Monday, August 26, 2002

I have a nomad II. It's pretty good for going for works with and listening to Technetcast on. http://www.technetcast.com

Matthew Lock
Monday, August 26, 2002

That's "walks" not "works".

Matthew Lock
Monday, August 26, 2002

There's also the Toshiba Gigabeat.  It's very similar to the iPod.  It's one advantage is it's USB 2.0 which is backward compatible with other USB as well.  That means you can use it on most computers out there vs the 3% or so that have an iLink/Fireware connector.  Of course if your machine does not have iLink/Fireware you can add it relatively cheaply, at least to your desktop, maybe not so each or easy for a laptop.

Gregg Tavares
Monday, August 26, 2002

I have an early SonicBlue Rio player.  I think it's the PMP 300.  I love it.  It's outdated now.

I also have SonicBlue's RioVolt SP90 MP3 CD player.  I love that too.  I recommend it highly.

I have an Apex DVD player that plays MP3 CD's.  It's decent.

In my car I have Awia's CD-MP3 deck.  It's marginal.  It was early, it was cheap, it's so-so.

I have a cheap digital camera that plays MP3s.  It sucks.

I have a Jornada 540 Pocket PC with MS Media Player.  It sucks (as a player).

I have a Toshiba e310 with MS Media Player 2002.  It still sucks (as a player).

So I have used many different devices for MP3 playback.  Most manufactures just don't "get it."  MP3 CD players require advanced UI software to be useful and most devices just get it wrong.  Usablity is a big problem with most players.

I have never been disappointed by SonicBlue.  I would buy anything from them.  Those folks seem to understand MP3 players and how they are used.  I just wish they made a car deck!  I also wish for a bookshelf system suitable for a bedroom.

I've played around with iPods too.  They are very nice.  I'd buy one if I had the $$$ but I think MP3 CD players give you the most bang for the buck.  I wish there were more choices.  I'm amazed at the number of regular CD players that are still manufactured and sold when MP3 versions are so cheap.

William Frantz
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Not sure if I'm answering sensibly...I've got a Sony DVD player that plays about anything, MP3, burnt CDs, normal CD's, DVD'd of course. I think it works very well.

Alberto
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

iPod is by far the best. I haven't tried the Windows version yet. If you use several for an extended period of time, the iPod's superiority becomes overwhelming. Why someone can't just copy the thing is ridiculous.

pb
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

pb - Ah, but there is....
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/18.toshiba.php

me
Wednesday, August 28, 2002

> pb - Ah, but there is....
> [Gigabeat]

Not the same thing.  "pb" is right.  I can't understand why everybody isn't copying iPod's example.

For one, iPod is stylish.  Lucite face, chrome back... it's pleasent to hold and to look at.  It feels very sturdy.  The thumb wheel is genious.  The size is perfect.

Gigabeat missed it.  Removable media isn't really necessary with 10 or 20 GB storage and Firewire.  It adds to the complexity, size, and weight.  The price quoted in the article for the 5 GB version is $100 more than the 5 GB iPod.  The navigation pad isn't as easy as the thumb wheel and the thing just looks ugly.

Nope, for the same price I'll take a 10 GB iPod any day.

William Frantz
Friday, August 30, 2002

I just thought I'd email you to tell you about this great website I've come across. You can get a Ipod 40 GB for just $39.99 when you sign up! It really works! I've signed up already and I'm waiting for my Ipod 40 GB. Anyway check it out... the website is http://www.epinch.net

If you do decide to join then please tell them that I told you about the site. On the order form it asks for a referrerel name ...  please put in my Name:  Joe Shust

joe
Saturday, April 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home