Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Internship

Hi,

I am looking for an internship opportunity as a Software Developer. I am extremly good at programming in C, C++ and Java. I am also (1) Very Smart (2) and get the job done.

Please visit my web page for my resume.

www.eden.rutgers.edu/~nabhan

Prakash

Prakash S
Monday, October 15, 2001

Why don't you have any programs you've worked on, on your page? They're always a good addition to the CV, especially if it's all available in the same place.

You might also want to rethink that colour scheme, and what's with:

"Disclaimer: The author of the webpage is in no way responsible for any of the content on this page or the pages pointed to from this page."

How can you not be responsible for your own work?

Anonymous
Monday, October 15, 2001

someone needs coffee :)

One thing is for sure ... when I review resumes, if there are major typos on your resume, I'm not going to read further. Someone once sent me a resume claiming extensive experience with "Microsoft Window". I had to imagine that if she can't even produce a resume without a bug that big, imagine how bad her code must be!

Joel Spolsky
Monday, October 15, 2001

>I had to imagine that if she can't even
>produce a resume without a bug that big,
>imagine how bad her code must be!

>Joel Spolsky
>Monday, October 15, 2001

Wow.  I totally assumed that Prakash was a guy because of the CS emphasis of his resume.  That just goes to show you that you should never assume things.  A lesson learned.

Anon Lover
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

Spelling mistakes has nothing to do with coding.<br>
I think all programmers make syntax typos. They discover them while compilation. Man check logic not english.

Anonymous

This is where you're wrong. The job of a programmer is communication.
A resume is the first impression that you get from a potential workmate. If the candidate doesn't take care in creating it, they may not take appropriate care in other non-coding tasks associated with programming.

Sven Dowideit

Empirical evidence:

The most valuable programmers on any team also happen to be the best communicators.

That's my experience.

Look at your own teams...what do you see?

Babak

Anon lover wrote:
"Wow. I totally assumed that Prakash was a guy because of the CS emphasis of his resume. That just goes to show you that you should never assume things. A lesson learned.

Joel wasn't talking about this person (Prakash).  Read his post again.  It says "Someone once sent me.."  He's talking about that anonymous someone.

Michael Pryor

I am Prakash, YES I am a guy.

It is quite obvious that most people have worked on Windows.

Most recruiters who come to my university for the first round of interviews are not Techies, they are mostly HR people. The more they see on your resume, the more likely they are to pass it on to the right people. That means more interviews , which translates to more chances of getting a job.

Though I graduate in 2003 may, I am sure I will have to start looking from right now for work, since the economy shows no signs of recovering for quite a while.

Any comments?

Prakash S
Sunday, November 04, 2001

PS: Thanks all for taking the time to look at my resume.

Prakash S
Sunday, November 04, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home