Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's your dream home development network?

I'm finally getting around to networking my two home PC's, and it got me thinking - what would the dream home development network setup be?

Just for fun, if you could set up an environment for playing around with whatever application development you wanted, what would it include?  To make it a challenge, dream cheaply.

Nick Hebb
Monday, August 26, 2002

I'd have my Windows desktop and Windows laptop networked to my old Linux box, running a Zope server. I'd also want a wireless network for the laptop. Internet connection would be shared through the Linux box.

Darren Collins
Monday, August 26, 2002

Cable or DSL modem to something like http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=173 . Switch in basement, Cat6 cabling to crucial points in the house (home office, kids rooms, server location). Portables connect wireless throughout the house and grounds when not connected to the Cat6 (can Windows XP do this network changeover automagically?). Dedicated high-speed point-to-point connection to friend at the other side of the neigbourhood for peered offsite backups.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, August 26, 2002

Since you said cheap I guess my 280 blade server rack idea is out of the question. Converting my ethernet/cat5 lan to wireless would be my next step. I'm in the process of adding a new SUSE box to house my cvs repository and wiki knowledge base, moving them from an old dual pentium that is at my partners house. I would love to have one machine dedicated to testing our software on different platforms/OSes also, maybe running VMware or something similiar. Adding dual monitors to my development platform would be a sweet addition.

This week I will finally get my new machine up and running (cross fingers) after cracking my first chip with an obnoxiously large heatsink. Then it's on to my first water cooled setup on that same machine.

Ian Stallings
Monday, August 26, 2002

Question for Just Me:

Why bother with Cat6 if you have wireless?  Costs thousands of bucks to wire your walls, whereas the wireless is just about 50-100 bucks per machine.

The voice of rationality
Monday, August 26, 2002

CAT-5 over Wireless?  Security:  http://airsnort.shmoo.com/

Nevertheless, I run WEP at home, and my development environment is a Dell laptop (running Linux of course).  I'd really like a Sony some day, but this Dell has several years left on it.

Several embedded targets taking up space in the den.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, August 26, 2002

WEP?  Bah.  Worthless Encryption Protocol.

Wireless is a neat idea, but if your neighbours have even half a clue, you'll likely end up uninentionally sharing your bandwidth (and possibly files) with them.

Sticking to Cat5/5e/6 gives you more security, better performance.  Of course, I admit that running it may be impractical in, say, brick houses or modern steel/concrete apartment buildings, but I live in a wooden frame house, so it's pretty easy.  Anything that looks hairy I can get an electrician to run cheaply enough, and it will still cost less than muching about with much more expensive wireless equipment and be much easier to manage than loading up IPSEC on my clients to provide an adequate level of security.

Plus you're going to want some cable in the house, anyway.  Your connection to the rest of the world - cable, DSL, fibre WAN ( http://www.citylink.co.nz/ ), whatever - will most likely want ethernet.  Network printers (free yourself from the tyranny of USB/Parallel!), cool consumer devices ( http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/producthome.asp ), and so on.  If you're going to want some, why not do the whole lot?

Rodger Donaldson
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

I know I'm weird, but my dream home development setup is not to have one. When I get home, I like to interact with my family and slump down on the couch with a large gin and tonic.

Andrew Simmons
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

"Why bother with Cat6 if you have wireless?"

Wireless is just fine for browsing from the couch, but tasks that involve the transfer of larger amounts of data are better handeled by copper. I would not like to wait for the transfer of these large files over the IEEE 802.11b LAN when I am stationary at the desk.
Furthermore, the Cat6 is far more reliable than the wireless, so I can grab that latest result set of the server in the morning no matter how much radio interferance there is from the roadworks in front of the house.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

What they said.  Besides, since when does copper cost "thousands of dollars?"  It's about $0.12/ft here.

Richard Berg
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

I have most everything I need on my home network.

Seperate DSL router and wireless router.

Wireless card in laptop for wandering around my house. Main "server" running linux with an ssh port open for access from the internet. I have a webport open for transferring large files when I am away from home, but I try to keep the server stopped.

For my "cheap dream" network I'd probably want a little more security on the wireless end. Some network monitoring tools to measure traffic and maybe detect intrusions. Maybe a small computer up in the living room to play mp3's from my main computer.

Actually, what I'd really like are large flatpanel monitors to place around the house in spots that I tend to use my laptop the most.

NathanJ
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

I'm pretty happy w/ what I have now:

1. Cable modem
2. Netgear cable modem router/switch
3. LinkSys Wireless Access Point
4. Slow desktop machine hardwired for significant other's email and such; houses 12 gigs of mp3s and connected to stereo
5. 1 year old lappy for dev w/ 802.11b card; also has copy of mp3 collection for mobile listening pleasure
6. Occasionally I bring an 802.11b-enabled PDA home from work

Dream additions to the network:
1. I have a DirecTiVo box which I'd like to hardwire to the network so I could archive recorded TV
2. I'd like to use one of those 802.11b-enabled PDAs as a browser-based remote control for an mp3 player running on the desktop machine, which is connected to the stereo
(Speaking of which, I would need some way to run speakers all over the house.)
3. A second, wireless lappy would be nice for my significant other to use downstairs (aforementioned desktop is upstairs). She'll get my current lappy when I replace it.
4. Gah! Home automation.. I want my security system, answering machine, lights, music, tied together.. so when I come home and disable the alarm system and executes a script to turn on the lights, and start playing random songs from my mp3 collection (but not before playing back msgs on  the answering machine) over the house-wide PA system...

blah blah

dm
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home