Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Education

Sometimes, I think about the possibility of studying in some good foreign university. I can study here, in my own country, but it seems like a waste of time and money (first level tech careers here lasts about six years).

Does anybody knows about prerequisites, costs, etc., to get a CS title?

Yo
Thursday, August 22, 2002

I don't understand the question.  Also, have you tried using http://www.google.com/ to research the question yourself?

1) What country do you live in?

2) Why is studying there a waste of time?

3) What is a first level tech career?

4) Why do they expire after six years?

5) Exactly what is a CS title (a degree?) and what kind are you looking for?

Dunno Wair

oh mama!

realist

Sorry, for "lasts" I didn't mean expiration... obviously, I need more english lessons.

Was I was trying to say is, in order to get a good title here (Chile) you need to go to university for six years. There is no "Software Engineer" title, but "Computation and Informatics Engineer", but if you study that, you will finish your days deploying big IBMesque things for multinational mammoths. Good money, but not my idea of fun. What I want to do instead is coding, and programming in general, and get some money in exchange. Programmers salaries here are lousy, even if you are a superstar.

I want to get a good title in a university which it's only mentioning in my curriculum give me tons of jobs offering (here in Chile we are easily impressed by foreign university titles). I don't want to spend more than two or three years studying, thought.

Yes, I did some googleing, but I want to hear "live" opinions.

(Perhaps this time my english is not that bad...)

Yo
Friday, August 23, 2002

Yo,

If you're expecting to do this in 2-3 years, then you're going to have to go to a tech school like DeVry.

If you think you've got what it takes to get a bachellors degree in this time, then you may want to attend a school with good name recognition.

Marketing people call this "Branding".  In other words, you want a university that people immediately recognize the name of.  The schools with the most globally recognized names are the ones with good sports legacies.

I remember being in Korea and seeing a class of school girls out on a field trip - must of been about 20 of them.  They were all wearing school uniforms and UCLA hats.  Why? Who knows. That's branding!

Nick Hebb
Friday, August 23, 2002

Mail the universities you want, and ask about their foreign programs.  In the US, the universities are not similar, so policies vary wildly.

Make sure to find out about financial aid.

Many universities have multiple foreign sister schools.

I would not say that you're doing this just so you can impress the locals.  Do it for the "experience."

anon
Friday, August 23, 2002

Ok, the experience surely would be nice, but I want to do this mostly for the "branding". Thank you for your advices, I'm starting a more serious research now.

Yo
Friday, August 23, 2002

> Ok, the experience surely would be nice, but I want to do
> this mostly for the "branding".

I know, colleges basically are all about their brands.  But I was saying that it might not be the best idea to wear this on your sleeve.

Depends on the execution, I guess.

anon
Friday, August 23, 2002

I'm not sure how the rest of the world regards our degrees, but most Australian Universities offer 3 year degrees (with the option to do another year - honours - if you do well).

eg Currently I'm doing a Bachelor or Science in Information Technology (www.curtin.edu.au) which is a 3 year course. I think its basically similar in structure to most degrees here.

*grin* just out of interest, has anyone out there heard of Curtin?

Hope this is of help..

Kat
Monday, August 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home