Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft softwares

Hi, I am currently a Microsoft and J2EE guy who have experience in Java, C++, EJB, COM, etc, however, I am currently out of job right now and I have a job offer doing SAP/ABAP job, with the currently economic situation in the U.S., I am thinking of accepting this position, do you see any future in these kind of packages such as SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle, etc?

A.B.S.
Thursday, August 22, 2002

If someone's offering you SAP with no prior experience then bite their arm off if only to get the experience.

You might find it bores the bejesus out of you but its something I wouldn't mind on my CV (a grab bag of stuff that is).

Simon Lucy

Pal, u don't have a job & u are being offered one, TAKE IT.

This is not the time to be picky & choosy.

Prakash S

>do you see any future in these kind of packages such as >SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle, etc?

Im currently doing Oralce stuff. It is OK, but not very challenging. Im now doing an major implementation of Oracle Financials (GL / AP / AR ) and those.

Some days it bores me to tears, but given the current job market it pays well.

Patrik

This just my $0.02 ...

As time moves on, we keep moving up and up in abstraction.

From binary to assembler to COBOL to C to Visual Basic, we've kept moving up.  Add class libraries and Java and Visual Studio to the mix, and you can pretty much have an entire application up and running after clicking through a few wizards. (Thanks to the app framework)

The code that results after that is just customizing the details.

What's my point, you ask?

In general, a lot of companies aren't developing word processors from scratch noadays - or accounting packages, or database packages, or database front-ends.

Instead, they buy oracle, or PeachTree, or Word - and customize them.  (On the web, Microsoft is trying to pose dotNet as the "basic" app that can be customized.) 

Custom Programming is going to be a more and more viable career path as time goes on.

The problem with ERP programming is the same problem we have with C++ vs. Java "oh, you know BAAN ... too bad, we're looking for a SAP programmer."

Companies want people who are training in an exact feature set, yet don't want to pay a premium for it.  In general, the result is that they will hire a bull$hit artist, and, IMHO, deserve what they get. :-)

If you can stay general - say, SAP, BAAN, JD Edwards, this could be a rather decent move.  If you can't stay general, I'd go with Oracle, as this seems pretty common.

just my $0.02 ...

Matt H.

This is the software big companies buy, big consulting firms recommend and support,  and salesmen earn big commissions for selling.

tk

I believe companies implement ERP type systems because they expect them to be turnkey... an order of magnitude beyone what they can get from their out of control and in some delusion land (like seeking private offices for all developers) IT department.

It's nothing more than a form of outsourcing...

When a business does ERP... it really means that it is desparate to keep afloat.  So desparate, it will willingly sacrifice any improvement of it's own systems that separate it from it's competitors... to be on the same level playing field as it's competitors.

Business competition has never been about being on a level playing field.  Some may benefit from the rut it is in... i.e. from fighting between IT and the business objectives.

Joe AA
Friday, August 23, 2002

Thanks for all your advice. I will now accept the job.

A.B.S.
Friday, August 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home